Pork Roast in Crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarmenL

Assistant Cook
Thank you everyone for the nice welcome. I have been reading the advice from everyone about the pot roast from a couple day ago. I want to try to make one that is a pork loin but with saeurkraut. Can I make it the same way that Big Dog made his pot roast with all the veggies but just include the sauerkraut? My husband is polish and his mother would make it for their family all the time. Any advice please? Thanks

I season the loin with salt and pepper, then brown it in a skillet.
Put it into the crock pot with a sliced up onion and a couple of minced garlic cloves.
I add a couple cans of kraut, 1/2 teaspoon of pickling spices, 1/4 cup white vinegar,
and enough water to cover.
Then I cook it on high all day, until the meat is fall apart tender.
I also make simple flour and egg dumplings, but you need boiling broth for those.

THis is also really good with spare ribs!

I used to make this in a Tuscan Oven, but I think you could do it in a crockpot.

1 boneless pork roast
dijon mustard
flour
salt and pepper
oil

Smear the roast with mustard, roll in flour to which you've added the salt and pepper.

Brown in the oil on all sides.

Put in Tuscan Oven (or crockpot). Add browned onions, sliced apples, small, peeled potatoes, raisins, and 1 bottle of beer (you might have to add a bit more water or beer). Cook until meat is 160-170 degrees. It should make it's own gravy.

This is how we made pork roast every other Sunday or so when I lived in Germany. The roast was not very big--3-4 lb. But it was very nice.

I season the loin with salt and pepper, then brown it in a skillet.
Put it into the crock pot with a sliced up onion and a couple of minced garlic cloves.
I add a couple cans of kraut, 1/2 teaspoon of pickling spices, 1/4 cup white vinegar,
and enough water to cover.
Then I cook it on high all day, until the meat is fall apart tender.
I also make simple flour and egg dumplings, but you need boiling broth for those.

THis is also really good with spare ribs!

I bet it would make a delicious Reuben too. Have you done that?:chef:

Nope, haven't tried it as a Reuben... I usually make it with spare ribs, because
my wife isn't really fond of the dish. So when I suggest it with a loin, we end up
with something else, sighh.
Besides, with the ribs, after the bones have simmered so long, they get soft on
the ends and are great to gnaw on!
But now I will have to try Reubenizing, next time she goes out of town and I make it!

A favorite of ours was to open a jar of sauerkraut and put it all into the crockpot. I then placed boneless country pork spareribs on top of the 'kraut, turned on the crockpot and let it cook all day at 275 degrees Fahreheit. It was so easy to do and tasted so good.

It turned out good! I was nervous that my husband would compare it to his moms and would not like it. Even my 5 year old who is the worst eater liked it. You all were giving me good advice and I appreciate all of it. Thank you!

Nope, haven't tried it as a Reuben... I usually make it with spare ribs, because
my wife isn't really fond of the dish. So when I suggest it with a loin, we end up
with something else, sighh.
Besides, with the ribs, after the bones have simmered so long, they get soft on
the ends and are great to gnaw on!
But now I will have to try Reubenizing, next time she goes out of town and I make it!

Treat yourself to a small pork tenderloin and cook it with the sauerkraut, etc., then cut some into fine pieces for the "Faux Reuben" and freeze into packets for a meal or two.

I'll bet it would be a great meat pie too. I also saved a recipe for Reubin Dip that looks good enough to try.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom