Pork rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbojr

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I would like to know if you have a good rub for smoking pork butts?

This is my goto rub. It works on everything. Feel free to omit the cayenne if you do not like the heat.

pinch of salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp light brown sugar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cinnamon

The rub on an 8# b.butt is very hard to taste, imho. I add my flavor after it is pulled. I still add some rub before smoke'n, though. I smoke it, rest, then pull and put into an alum pan and back on the smoker. Add rub and sauce, I just use apple cider vinegar, and smoke for another 2-3 hrs at 2-225*. Keep taste'n every 1/2 hr or so until the season is right and the sauce is right. This adds more smoke flavor and rub to all the meat and not just the outside edge.

Just what I do anyway. How ever you do it, it'll be good.

I like brining pork butt before applying the dry rub, so in case you're up for that, here's how to do that.
About 8 oz. kosher salt to 2 quarts of water, maybe 2 oz. less if you're using table salt.
6-8 oz. sugar and I like using brown sugar
a couple Tbls whole peppercorns
Make sure the salt & sugar are completely dissolved and immerse the pork in a ziplock bag with the brine and I usually let it go overnight, so let's say 12-24 hours.
Remove the pork and pat it dry, let it stand a half hour before putting on the rub.
Here's the rub I use and note it should be to your taste, so these are only guidelines.
Aprox 1/4 cup paprika
1-2 Tbls granulated garlic
1-2 Tbls onion powder
About 1/4 cup brown or white sugar
2 Tbls cracked pepper
About a tsp to start of cayenne, and more if you like the heat
Note that this is an excellent rub as it stands, but I like to add about a Tbl each of cumin & chili powder
Mix thoroughly and alter to your taste
Apply the rub all over the pork, pressing gently to make it adhere, and let it stand a half hour to settle in before BBQing.
Hope you get a terrif BBq, you should!

Steven Raichlen bbq rub ftw.

• ¼ cup brown sugar (packed firmly)
  • 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
  • 2 tbsp. black pepper (fresh cracked preferred)
  • 2 tbsp. coarse kosher salt
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
  • 2 tsp. celery seeds
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
mix. rub.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom