"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wink Pork Sandwiches for Grad party

My son graduates next week and I would like to make pulled pork sandwiches for the party. My question has to do with the meat I hope to use and the best way to cook it.

I have about 20 pounds of meat in 1 and 2 pound packages. I was planning to put it all in an 18 qt. roaster, but I'm not sure how long to cook it, or at what temperature. I'm not sure how to adjust for having multiple small pieces.

Suggestions?
Thoughts?
Experiences?

thanks for whatever information you'd like to share!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Executive Chef

What kind of cut(s) do you have? BTW, welcome to DC.

Craig

Old 05-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 05-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I have some pork shoulder pieces and some pork butt and a few pieces of loin. It is left from a hog that we had butchered about a year ago. That is why I would like to use it up for this meal. I know that the loin might not work as well as the other pieces, but I hope that I can make it work.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the welcome, BTW. I will probably have lots of questions to ask!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannej View Post
I have some pork shoulder pieces and some pork butt and a few pieces of loin. It is left from a hog that we had butchered about a year ago. That is why I would like to use it up for this meal. I know that the loin might not work as well as the other pieces, but I hope that I can make it work.
The loin is so lean, it won't shred like the butt and shoulder will for pulled pork. I'd suggest you cut it up in small pieces and add it to the butt and shoulder.

I've been wanting to try this recipe, it would work great for something a little different........

Caramelized Orange Pork Roast - Martha Stewart Recipes

I would triple the recipe for your 20lbs of pork, and I wouldn't adjust the time for your smaller pieces. An 18 quart roaster should work fine.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The shoulder and butt pieces should do well with low and slow. Although, I would do them in a smoker, I've heard you can get decent results in the oven. Liquid smoke can help with the flavor, but I can't give you advice on how much to use or how to apply it. A good low and slow temp would be 225F. A good rub and let stand in the fridge overnight. Maybe the liquid smoke can be added, as a sprinkle on top, just before it goes in. I would probable cover the pan with foil. Again, I'm at a lose because I don't cook these cuts in the oven.

Craig
Old 05-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannej View Post
My son graduates next week and I would like to make pulled pork sandwiches for the party. My question has to do with the meat I hope to use and the best way to cook it.

I have about 20 pounds of meat in 1 and 2 pound packages. I was planning to put it all in an 18 qt. roaster, but I'm not sure how long to cook it, or at what temperature. I'm not sure how to adjust for having multiple small pieces.

Suggestions?
Thoughts?
Experiences?

thanks for whatever information you'd like to share!
I make my pulled pork in the crock pot - I use pork butt, boneless if I can find it, about 5-6 lbs. I cut as much fat off as I can, put it on low overnight in the crockpot with 1 cup of water, a chopped up onion and 1/4 tsp of cloves.

In the morning I take it out, shred it (it will fall off the bone, or fall apart) - I shred it with a fork and knife. Pour off the liquid and put the meat back in the crock pot with another chopped onion, add bbq sauce (bottled). I like Sweet Baby Ray's - let the meat and sauce continue to cook on low until the onions are done, serve on kaiser or hamburger buns with coleslaw (on the sandwich). Some people like dill pickle chips also. This will make a saucy type meat, if you want it drier, put it in the oven.

I'm sure you can use the cuts you have and make good pulled pork.

Hope this helps and Welcome to DC
Old 05-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ

I make my pulled pork in the crock pot - I use pork butt, boneless if I can find it, about 5-6 lbs. I cut as much fat off as I can, put it on low overnight in the crockpot with 1 cup of water, a chopped up onion and 1/4 tsp of cloves.

In the morning I take it out, shred it (it will fall off the bone, or fall apart) - I shred it with a fork and knife. Pour off the liquid and put the meat back in the crock pot with another chopped onion, add bbq sauce (bottled). I like Sweet Baby Ray's - let the meat and sauce continue to cook on low until the onions are done, serve on kaiser or hamburger buns with coleslaw (on the sandwich). Some people like dill pickle chips also. This will make a saucy type meat, if you want it drier, put it in the oven.

Agree with LindaZ. With 20 lbs., you could use multiple crock pots though I see you have a big roaster. I have used many different pork cuts for PP, all have been delicious. Regular Coke instead of water is also good in the initial cooking.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post

Linda I cook mine in my slow cooker just as you do but I never add water, what comes from the meat it's self is so tasty, I add onion, garlic and cumin the last several hrs. I find adding onions and such at the start I just end up with not much flavor. that is all I do except for the Sweet Baby Ray's which everyone loves. The meat is so tender it almost shreds itself and on warm toasted buttered buns things are just about done for us. I put out an assortment of goodies that anyone can choose to build a bigger sandwich on mashed avocado,garlic evoo and some lime,, chopped tomatoes more chopped onion, li,es to squeese, chopped olives, peppers hot and mild.
kadesma

Tags
pork