Pork shoulder in smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coppermouse

Assistant Cook
How long will it take to cook a 10 pound pork shoulder in my smoker? it runs at about 200 degrees. I want it to be able to be pulled easily.
Thanks in advance!

I would expect it to take 12-14 hours. You might want to run somewhere in the range of 225F-250F.

Hey thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I do not have a temp control on it, you just plug it in and go

Hi all,

I have two 10 lb butts dry rubbed in the frig that will go on my smoker @ 4pm today and I wouldn't even look at them 8am tomorrow. (16hrs)

I will add soaked wood chips 3 times during the night and have a remote alarm set to go off if the temp. drops below 200 or goes over 280 :chef:

There's a great Video on Utube about smoking pork butt.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a Binkman electric smoker I got at a yard sale, and get this it was $5.
I use it for parties all the time but never have done anything this large. I will probably use mesquite and hickory, whichever one I have on hand. Once again thanks!

How long will it take to cook a 10 pound pork shoulder in my smoker? it runs at about 200 degrees. I want it to be able to be pulled easily.
Thanks in advance!

Hey copper,
Have you checked that temp with a reliable thermometer? The ones that come stock with the smokers are notorious for being incorrect. You may also be able to increase the temp a bit if you seal the access doors with gasketing material to help prevent heat loss.

Back
Top Bottom