"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-18-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
Sous Chef

onion-cheese souffle - lettuce & tomato salad - rolls

It's a little hard to cost this out b/c, of course, the dishes are using only a portion of your food purchases and many ingredients are cheaper if you buy the larger size ( for example, milk).

Anyway, here's a dinner menu for a family of 4 - I think this would come in at $5-$6 (sorry, dessert is xtra :D )

onion-cheese souffle with a lettuce & tomato salad and homemade rolls

SOUFFLE
6-8 eggs [@ 1.20/doz]
4-6 oz good quality Swiss and/or Xtra Sharp Cheddar cheese [@ $3.50/lb]
1 to 1-1/2 cups milk (??cost??)
1-2 medium onions (??cost??)
4-5 oz butter (@ 3/lb on sale )

SALAD
again, hard to cost out and you probably wouldn't use all of the head of lettuce but...
lettuce [$1/head] (if you had 2 kinds, maybe .75 total for the lettuce in the salad???)
fresh tomatoes [$1/lb - just recently, a local supermarket had good quality plum tomatoes for this price]
homemade vinagrette dressing (??cost)

BREAD/ROLLS
flour [$2.30/5-LB bag)
water
yeast
salt
maybe some butter or oil in recipe
...anyway, I think you ought to be able to make a pan of rolls for about 50-75 cents - depends on whether you use butter and how much butter you use.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

I know about it being hard to "cost out" sub ... what do we get to count as "staples on hand"? And, how/where you shop, and where you live, makes such a difference, too!

Example - eggs. For you a dozen eggs is $1.20 - I usually get them for about $1 .... but usually every week or two someone has them on sale for a dozen-and-a half (18)/$1. So, assuming 8 eggs, the eggs for your souffle could be $0.80 or $0.44.

Milk is a problem - a gallon jug is gerally cheaper than 2 half-gallon jugs. But, then again, is it on sale or not ... sometimes 2 half-gallon jugs are cheaper than a 1-jug gallon.

Butter is also another "staple" that has various prices. Sometimes it's $3.99/lb, sometimes 2-lb/$5.

And the necessary ubiquitous All-Purpose (AP) flour ... can range from $1 to $5.99 for a 5-lb bag depending on the brand!

After having been a wet-blanket ...... I think Elf had a great idea of starting a discussion on .... it might not be gourmet but it's cheap! But, IMHO, we need to expand it to planning a supper menu based on $5/day for a month.

PS: For those who don't know ... Elf and I are friends. Or, at least we used to be. But, knowing Elf - we still are.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:10 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW 19-Feb-2005 08:31 PM
I know about it being hard to "cost out" sub ... what do we get to count as "staples on hand"? And, how/where you shop, and where you live, makes such a difference, too!

.... I think Elf had a great idea of starting a discussion on .... it might not be gourmet but it's cheap! But, IMHO, we need to expand it to planning a supper menu based on $5/day for a month.
I think there's definitely a place on DC for a general topic on eating well on a restricted budget. This thread is kinda an initial exploration but its too hard to meet the parameters.

As a take on your comment
Quote:
it might not be gourmet but it's cheap!
what I'd like to see is something like it IS not be gourmet AND it's cheap
Old 02-20-2005, 11:18 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW

Example - eggs. For you a dozen eggs is $1.20 - I usually get them for about $1 .... but usually every week or two someone has them on sale for a dozen-and-a half (18)/$1. So, assuming 8 eggs, the eggs for your souffle could be $0.80 or $0.44.

Milk is a problem - a gallon jug is gerally cheaper than 2 half-gallon jugs. But, then again, is it on sale or not ... sometimes 2 half-gallon jugs are cheaper than a 1-jug gallon.

Butter is also another "staple" that has various prices. Sometimes it's $3.99/lb, sometimes 2-lb/$5.

And the necessary ubiquitous All-Purpose (AP) flour ... can range from $1 to $5.99 for a 5-lb bag depending on the brand!

After having been a wet-blanket ...... I think Elf had a great idea of starting a discussion on .... it might not be gourmet but it's cheap! But, IMHO, we need to expand it to planning a supper menu based on $5/day for a month.

PS: For those who don't know ... Elf and I are friends. Or, at least we used to be. But, knowing Elf - we still are.
I think your getting a little too technical. The idea is to just post meals YOU have made that cost YOU $5 or less for a family of four. Everyone has different staples on hand, so I wouldnt consider that in factoring the $5 cost of the meal.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #15
Master Chef

Exactly Amber...........its like looking at what you have on hand and thinking what can I buy to go with it that'll cost $5.00 or less. Say for instance you only needed to buy some ground beef or some other meat. Or you may have to buy a piece of produce to go along with it. Thats the sort of thing this topic is about.

Like if I were to decide to make Goulash today........I'd just need to buy the ground beef and green bell pepper.....I have all the other ingredients on hand.....the stuff I need will only cost me like 3.00 - 4.00 bucks and it'll feed all of us and there will be enough for additional helpings also........so it would serve a family of 8 easily.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #16
Head Chef

Alix,

That dish sounds really good. I'm gonna have to try it sometime. Maybe you could call it "Chicken A-La Pasta".

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote