"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-16-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
What the others have said is right on. The pot is stainless therefore the pot is NOT the cause. If it happens several times, you have a bad batch of some ingredient. Have you checked the temp of the fridge?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Just a crazy thought, but...Could it possibly have anything to do with the chemicals/soap/scouring pads that you are using to clean your pots with?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:40 AM   #13
Executive Chef
It would be better anyway if you cooled the mixture down in a large plastic covered tub. Putting the hot pot and mixture in the fridge won't cool it down fast enough.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #14
Master Chef
You know, sometimes it's hard to cook a large thick mixture like that and keep the bottom stirred well enough. Could it be that it's scorching on the bottom? That will ruin the taste of the whole batch. I did that once when I was cooking a big batch of creamed corn for the freezer.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #15
Senior Cook
I suspect it is not cooling fast enough when you make a large batch and leave it

in the large pan. Try dividing up the mixture into smaller amounts, which is what you had when you made the smaller batch and, cooling quickly. It sounds almost like you are making yogurt when you keep milk warm for several hours.
If you can't divide into smaller portions then cool the whole pot in a sink full of ice and keep stirring til cool.
Lizannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #16
Master Chef
I think the others may be on to something ...

Could be that the SS pot is better at retaining heat than your old one and the mixture is cooling more slowly than before.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by vblake
HELP! My chicken pot pie filling has always come out great when I made it in my Calphalon pot. When I used a different pot, The mix came out very sour. I got what I thought was a stainless steel pot, however, the mix was still our the next day. After asking around, I understand that there may still be aluminum in the core of the bottom of the pot. If I do invest in an "all stainless steel" pot, will this still happen? I make the filling in bulk-20 quarts, then I refridgerate it in the pot overnight. The next day, I make the crusts, fill them, and freeze them. In my recipe, I use a few cups of either nonfat dry milk powder, or whole milk, along with the chicken broth. Is there anyone who knows anything about this? I am new to this website in the hopes of someone more knowledgable than me having some answers.
Generally speaking the base for a chicken pot pie is a veloute,yours is milk.It is possible that if you left it in the pot covered while the mixture was still hot that the condensation could have caused the sourness that you speak of.Happens all the time in commercial kitchens when someone puts a lid on a bucket of chicken stock and throws it in the walkin still hot.If you have anything acidic like lemon in the recipe along with the milk and again not allowing the mixture to cool properly,and by that I mean
not covered,then covered and refriderated.Possibly the chicken stock was not the freshest as well.I doubt it was the pot,metallic is one thing,sour is another.
I used a microwave once.....just once!
foodaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
The cooling down idea is the only thing so far that really makes sense. I didn't want to have to transfer everything into smaller containers, but it seeems I have no choice. I'll definately give it a try. Thank you all for your input. I'll let you know how it turns out next time. Hopefully I won't be wasting my time and money again. This has been a very costly problem, especially because all of the ingredients are certified organic! If this works, my customers will be very thankful as will I!
vblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Costly, yes; and if it's certified organic, spend a little money on food-certified plastic containers, especially if you're selling your product. All you need is 1 customer complaint or illness, and you could be out of business.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #20
If your sink can hold the pot in it. You could try cooling it in an ice bath first. Thats the
way we used to do hot liquids in the commercial kitchen I worked in.

Some days you win Some days you lose Some days you get rained out But you have to put the uniform on everyday and be ready to Play................. Nick
gwkr36a is offline   Reply With Quote