"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Head Chef

Pot Roast?

My Dad wants me to make a potroast for his birthday and requested one I made many years ago, however I don't remember it. He said it was kind of like of very, very thick steak. I haven't made one in a long time and have wracked my nimble brain to think what cut of meat this could have been...

Does anybody have a clue, and a fantastic recipe to go along??? I would appreciate any help...

Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
My Dad wants me to make a potroast for his birthday and requested one I made many years ago, however I don't remember it. He said it was kind of like of very, very thick steak. I haven't made one in a long time and have wracked my nimble brain to think what cut of meat this could have been...

Does anybody have a clue, and a fantastic recipe to go along??? I would appreciate any help...
Mimi,
I use a chuck roast, I usually put it in the slow cooker, mu bunch likes it to fall apart instead of slicing it, I serve it with brown gravy i've added sliced mushrooms to.
kades

Old 05-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I use a chuck roast too. You could do it with a thick chuck steak too. It'll just be a bit smaller.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use a chuck roast too. You could do it with a thick chuck steak too. It'll just be a bit smaller.
Is there a name for that particular cut or do you just use any steak??
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Look for a chuck steak. Usually comes with a bone in it. IF your store doesn't have it, ask the meat guy.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Just ask for chuck steak or roast. There shoud be some in the meat counter.
kades
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Mimi,
I use a chuck roast, I usually put it in the slow cooker, mu bunch likes it to fall apart instead of slicing it, I serve it with brown gravy i've added sliced mushrooms to.
kades
Kades I don't use a slow cooker so i'm assuming it's good on top of the stove,, or in the oven also??? What do you serve with it to make it spectacular???
Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Master Chef

You want a chuck roast rather than steak. My sister used to make a great one ... I think the trick was that she coated the beef with Lipton's onion soup (yes, the one you use to make dip). Then fill the roasting pan with onions, carrots and potatoes. Roast according to whatever cookbook you have on hand, depending on the size of your roast. Take the meat and vegs out of the roasting pan, then deglaze with either water or red wine (depending on Daddy's taste). Put all of it on a large platter, pour the "juices" over it or put in a gravy boat. Gee, I'm hungry just thinking about it! Haven't had it in years!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Head Chef

Chuck Roast is the only way to go. I have tried several different cuts thru the years and I always come back to that. It gives so much flavor, and ends up so tender.
I take the chuck roast, put in roasting pan, slice up a big onion (or if i can get them i use the little baby round onions), carrots, cut up potatoes ( love using the fingerling ones or small whole potatoes like they sell for salt potatoes -- a couple of cut up celery stalks, a couple of gloves of garlic minced up. If parsnips are available I have put them in there to. S&P a pinch of thyme and rosemary- if you have fresh a sprig of each and a bay leaf. One can of beef broth. Cover tight and let cook till meat is tender. (time depends on oven and size of roast) then i remove the juice and put back in the oven uncovered while making gravy. YUMO
Old 05-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Chuck makes a great pot roast. Being a POT roast, we make it in a pot (Dutch Oven).