Pot Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimizkitchen

Head Chef
My Dad wants me to make a potroast for his birthday and requested one I made many years ago, however I don't remember it. He said it was kind of like of very, very thick steak. I haven't made one in a long time and have wracked my nimble brain to think what cut of meat this could have been...

Does anybody have a clue, and a fantastic recipe to go along??? I would appreciate any help... :)

My Dad wants me to make a potroast for his birthday and requested one I made many years ago, however I don't remember it. He said it was kind of like of very, very thick steak. I haven't made one in a long time and have wracked my nimble brain to think what cut of meat this could have been...

Does anybody have a clue, and a fantastic recipe to go along??? I would appreciate any help... :)
Mimi,
I use a chuck roast, I usually put it in the slow cooker, mu bunch likes it to fall apart instead of slicing it, I serve it with brown gravy i've added sliced mushrooms to.
kades

I use a chuck roast too. You could do it with a thick chuck steak too. It'll just be a bit smaller.

Mimi,
I use a chuck roast, I usually put it in the slow cooker, mu bunch likes it to fall apart instead of slicing it, I serve it with brown gravy i've added sliced mushrooms to.
kades

Kades I don't use a slow cooker so i'm assuming it's good on top of the stove,, or in the oven also??? What do you serve with it to make it spectacular??? :)

You want a chuck roast rather than steak. My sister used to make a great one ... I think the trick was that she coated the beef with Lipton's onion soup (yes, the one you use to make dip). Then fill the roasting pan with onions, carrots and potatoes. Roast according to whatever cookbook you have on hand, depending on the size of your roast. Take the meat and vegs out of the roasting pan, then deglaze with either water or red wine (depending on Daddy's taste). Put all of it on a large platter, pour the "juices" over it or put in a gravy boat. Gee, I'm hungry just thinking about it! Haven't had it in years!

Chuck Roast is the only way to go. I have tried several different cuts thru the years and I always come back to that. It gives so much flavor, and ends up so tender.
I take the chuck roast, put in roasting pan, slice up a big onion (or if i can get them i use the little baby round onions), carrots, cut up potatoes ( love using the fingerling ones or small whole potatoes like they sell for salt potatoes -- a couple of cut up celery stalks, a couple of gloves of garlic minced up. If parsnips are available I have put them in there to. S&P a pinch of thyme and rosemary- if you have fresh a sprig of each and a bay leaf. One can of beef broth. Cover tight and let cook till meat is tender. (time depends on oven and size of roast) then i remove the juice and put back in the oven uncovered while making gravy. YUMO

Kades I don't use a slow cooker so i'm assuming it's good on top of the stove,, or in the oven also??? What do you serve with it to make it spectacular??? :)

I start my pot roast in a heavy pot on the stove top then pop it into the oven to cook slowly. It cooks more evenly and requires less monitoring in the oven.

Look for a chuck steak. Usually comes with a bone in it. IF your store doesn't have it, ask the meat guy.

Can you still get them with the bone in? I have been looking and looking down here and cannot find them. I asked the meat guys at 2 different stores and they said they cannot order them at all.

Andy I went to the butcher and ordered a chuck roast (he said a seven bone roast is the best) is this what you meant when you said bone in???

Yup, that's fine. The chuck steak is usually smaller than a boneless roast. How many do you plan to feed?

24 and I ordered 10 roasts, I figured with the 7 bones I wouldn't get a good amount of meat off each so I hope I got enough... Whadda you think??? :ermm::ermm::ermm:

Pot roast = chuck roast to me!

I brown my pot roast on all sides in a little olive oil, then put in 10-20 cloves of garlic, some herbes de Provence, salt and pepper. Pour in one bottle of beer (dark beer is my favorite) put the lid on and put into a 250 oven for 6 hours or until it falls apart. The garlic mellows with the long cooking, and even garlic haters will like this.

Defat and thicken some of the liquid for gravy. Save some of it to cook mushrooms and barley or brown rice in for another meal. Or serve the roast "soupy" with lots of crusty bread to sop up the juices with.

How do you plan to cook 10 for a meal?

I plan on doing them with all root veggies, red wine, and i've already made a beef stock. I've gone to the farmers market today and bought the most beautiful vegetables.

Also I have access to four more ovens so I will be able to have them all ready at the same time...

P.S. I also bought a pair of roller skates!!!

The 7 bone steak is a smaller piece of meat than a boneless chuck roast. You could feed the same group with half as many roasts (roughly).

Back
Top Bottom