Potato Guts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief Longwind of the North,

Thanks!

My wife would love the pot pie...I would love the Shepherd's pie, my wife would love the fish idea and making a sandwich like that would get me to like the fish more!

Great suggestions...really from everyone. I have a feeling I will be referring back to this thread multiple times.

You can make Papa Rellenas or Kartoffelklosse. Both are stuffed dumplings.:yum:

Alrighty CraigC...now your dancing right in the zone I went with this, following the gnocchi suggestion!:ohmy:

Doing a different setup with the same mixture tonight. I'll take some pics of that variation and include in my results post when I can finally put the package all together.

Daggum job, business, home, property and gardens get in the way of good food conversations!

Potato guts...the final story...

The challenge I asked the community to provide suggestions on was, “what to do with the inner baked potato (potato guts) after removing to make baked potato skins. And in addition, if the leftover garlic Texas toast I also had could be incorporated it would be even better.

You all have given me great ideas beyond these two ingredients that has inspired me to even more.:yum:

So here we go with the final outcome of my challenge:

01-The challenge.jpg

So, I added even more to my challenge. I had green beans from the garden as well as fresh homegrown tomatoes you see here all skinned and ready to go that needed to be dealt with (I’m seeing green beans in my nightmares at this point in the season).:bash:

I also had some already cooked green pepper pieces from a takeout Chinese (Americanized Chinese) meal that I saved. I don’t like green peppers in my Chinese or stir fries…jalapenos yes, green peppers no, so I remove them…and in this case I knew I had this idea coming up so I saved them.

Also in pic 1 you see the cocktail of choice for this evening of cooking; The Bakewell Fizz, A maraschino cherry in the bottom (I was literally fresh out of kirsh soaked cherries), a tablespoon of Kirshwasser, 3 ounces Prosecco and topped with one ounce of amaretto. I can literally drink these as shots…ok, maybe two swallows.:w00t2:

The plan became “Amish Potato Dumplings” with Italian green beans and stewed tomatoes.

02-Onions and garlic.jpg

So of course I sliced an onion and a small handful of fresh garlic

03-onions and garlic in the pot.jpg

Sautéed in olive oil

04-add tomatoes and seasonigs.jpg

To the onions and garlic I added the tomatoes and seasonings like salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, dried oregano and thyme rubbed between fingers. When I needed more salt, I used a trick I lean on these days for extra umami, and that is in this case is granulated tomato bouillon (the same trick works with other bouillons using them instead of salt in various dishes).:idea:

05-add green beans.jpg

Added the green beans

06-add peppers.jpg

Added those leftover green peppers chopped up.

And this cooked for I think it was a good couple of hours until the beans were soft. They are end of season beans, so a little tough. I wasn’t timing these, they are done when they are done…plus I had plenty of fixings for Blakewell fizzes to keep me occupied!:punk:

07-potato dumplings base ingredients.jpg

On to the dumplings. I liked this recipe I found on the age old “Cooks.com” web site for Amish Potato Dumplings because I liked the sound of the bread being incorporated as crumbs IN the dumplings rather than croutons stuffed inside them or toasted crumbs sprinkled on top like Kartoffelkloesse.

I had about 7 oz of potato “guts” and the leftover Texas toast made ½ cup of crumbs which was the amount in the actual recipe I found that specified “4 potatoes”. Really? “4 potatoes”?…Not exactly and “exacting” recipe huh? The recipe also called for 1 egg, 2 tbl milk, 1 tbl flour, salt pepper and parsley. I skipped the parsley but added garlic and onion powder.

09-formed dumplings in flour.jpg

Mixed and mashed thoroughly, formed in to walnut sized balls and then…oh yea, the flour doesn’t go in the mixture, you roll the balls in the flour. I have never done this before but I assume it helped hold the balls together. Brilliant!:chef:

08-dumpling test boil.jpg

Here is a close up on my test dumpling. They are so soft and delicate…well worth the fuss.

10-boil dumplings.jpg

And in to gently boiling water and a return to boil for 10 minutes. They float sooner but the recipe specified 10 minutes so that’s what I did and they were perfect.

11-plate number 1.jpg

The final plating.

Drizzled some of the tomato sauce from the beans over top and served with some spiral sliced ham and the requisite blob of Inglehoffer’s Sweet Hot mustard.

Not bad at all.

I had leftover dumpling mixture that went back in the fridge.

12-Plate number 2.jpg

So a few days later, second run. This time with brown butter ala CraigC’s gnocchi suggestion and a tomato and goat cheese crumble salad with homemade Dijon white wine vinaigrette and fresh basil. This time I whooped out a standard can of bread crumbs and just sprinkled over the dumplings and salad, like I said I wasn’t doing to the dumplings the first time! Hey, it was a different day and I was drinking draft Weizenbock I brought back from Greenbrier Brewing Company near Lewisburg WV…good stuff, and I suppose it made me feel slightly more German than Amish!:brows:

So there you go folks, I hope the picture spread worked out, this is my first attempt at multi-pic blog style on here.

Thanks to all! :clap:

Last edited:
Thanks Munkey...I am obnoxiously individual but I can play on a team at the drop of a hat...as long as it's not a "blood oath"! :wacko:

I gave the DW a list of 14 meals that need to be made with freezer stock on hand when she got back for her to pick her choice of first meal upon return. When I was done she said you had me at "steak"!...the first meal on the menu! I Had one hand cut 1-1/4" thick boneless strip left from a whole strip I cut up myself a while back. It was great, served with a nice tossed salad with a Dijon white wine vinaigrette and goat cheese crumbles. (we skip the potatoes with this meal these days...ironically, since this thread was about using baked potatoes!:stuart:

Nichole,

While I did not make twice baked stuffed potatoes in this run, I have made them on several occasions. It's good stuff. Interestingly the night I made my second version of the potato dumplings you see above...my daughter texted me pictures of her making twice baked stuffed potatoes!:yum:

She's a chip off the ole block!

If you can remove the potato meat from the baked potato mostly whole, then dice it and set aside (about half the sized of throwing dice). Using left-over corned beef, or pastrami, cut the meat into the same sized dice as the potatoes. Heat a little clarified butter, or if you have it, chicken fat over medium heat. Add the potatoes, and diced meat to make a hash. Lightly season with salt and pepper, and cook until the potato dice browns lightly.

Serve with a perfectly poached egg on top, or as a side to the rest of your meal.

Home made corned-beef, or pastrami hash is so delicious.

For your gnocchi, you could add finely diced meat, coupled with minced chives to the potato balls. When done, sprinkle a little cheese over the top.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I use the recipe my Oma made for T-day dressing to stuff my kartoffelklosse. Not sure if it was first used as dumpling stuffing or dressing.:LOL: When I make the dumplings for sauerbraten, I make extra to have for breakfast. They get cooked and put in the fridge. Next morning, I slice them about 1/2" thick and fry the slices in butter until golden brown on each side. A couple of over-easy eggs on top and :yum:. BTW, my dumplings are about the size of a baseball.

Last edited:
Chief,

My mouth is watering at the thought of pastrami hash. Good new is I smoke my own pastrami so I just happen to have it on hand:punk:

Craig,

What nationality is the word Oma from?

I'm going to have to go out of my way to make kartoffelklosse now. I like the stuffing idea instead of just crutons.

And the size of a baseball?:ohmy: Sliced for breakfast sounds really good.

I have gotten some really good ideas in this thread and the Amish potato dumplings I ended up making are a real keeper too. Very delicate.

Thanks all!

Chief,

My mouth is watering at the thought of pastrami hash. Good new is I smoke my own pastrami so I just happen to have it on hand:punk:

Craig,

What nationality is the word Oma from?

I'm going to have to go out of my way to make kartoffelklosse now. I like the stuffing idea instead of just crutons.

And the size of a baseball?:ohmy: Sliced for breakfast sounds really good.

I have gotten some really good ideas in this thread and the Amish potato dumplings I ended up making are a real keeper too. Very delicate.

Thanks all!

German for grandmother.;)

Back
Top Bottom