"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Cook
 
Chef Kenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 55
Potato Guts

So I’m eating like a Bachelor this week as my wife is out of town. No, it’s not because I can’t cook, I do 95% of the cooking in my house. The wife does dishes…and does them like the sweetheart she is, but it’s my lazy splurge to take a break from the cooking I’m usually doing.

I can’t help myself at some points though, which is where the idea of this thread comes from.

I got some takeout fried chicken from a local place here and they give you 2 sides. I chose baked potato for both since I would not be eating this food till later and I am getting plenty of veggies from garden harvesting.

As I was placing the order…the plan was already forming in my head…”potato skins!”. I have to make these for myself because this place don’t sell ‘em.

So that’s what I did and here’s a pic. Yes, I am not a great “plater” so it’s nothing fancy. Not a great pic either but the are in my intestines now so too late for a re-shoot! They are not as burned as they look, they were fantastic...(flavor in the brown, baby!). Also I realize these should have chives or green onions on them. I have chives growing nearly year round…but hey, this is bachelor food…I’m being too lazy to go out and cut some…he, he, but not too lazy to make the skins…I know, stupid, but I am stupid sometimes.

So here’s my request from the community:

What to do with the potato guts I scooped out to make the skins?

My instinct is fried potato cakes…been there, and there’s the old faithful “mashed potatoes”…done that. If you have recipes for either, I welcome them. I may learn something I don’t know.

I’m wondering if you have something “out of the box thinking” to share?????

As an added bonus the meal came with slices of semi-garlicky Texas toast. So coming up with something to use both in one recipe would be even more awesome!

Let ‘er rip folks. School me!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Potato skins.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	23242  
__________________

__________________
Chef Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kenny View Post


...What to do with the potato guts I scooped out to make the skins?


My instinct is fried potato cakes…been there, and there’s the old faithful “mashed potatoes”…done that. If you have recipes for either, I welcome them. I may learn something I don’t know.

I’m wondering if you have something “out of the box thinking” to share?????

As an added bonus the meal came with slices of semi-garlicky Texas toast. So coming up with something to use both in one recipe would be even more awesome!

Let ‘er rip folks. School me!

You could make twice baked potatoes. Take the guts and mix with cheese, chives, bacon bits, etc. Restuff the skins, top with cheese and bake to melt the cheese and reheat the filling.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Cook
 
Chef Kenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You could make twice baked potatoes. Take the guts and mix with cheese, chives, bacon bits, etc. Restuff the skins, top with cheese and bake to melt the cheese and reheat the filling.
Awesome idea Andy, but as I mentioned, the skins are being digested as I type!

No reason the same idea could not be done in a ramekin though. I've done stuffed twice baked and they are delicious. Almost exactly your recipe suggestion (I wish there was a thumbs up smilie)
__________________
Chef Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,096
I make what we lovingly refer to here as "slop". I usually use packaged mashed potatoes, but your guts would work too.

Nuke some frozen mixed vegetables, mix in your potato guts with a bit of milk, and some Velveeta or other easy melting cheese. Cream cheese would be good too. Nuke some more until cheese is melted, stir. Add some pepper, eat.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,783
Gnocchi with a marinara or brown butter, fresh sage sauce.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Kenny View Post
Awesome idea Andy, but as I mentioned, the skins are being digested as I type!

No reason the same idea could not be done in a ramekin though. I've done stuffed twice baked and they are delicious. Almost exactly your recipe suggestion (I wish there was a thumbs up smilie)

Your welcome to keep the idea until the next time.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Cook
 
Chef Kenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I make what we lovingly refer to here as "slop". I usually use packaged mashed potatoes, but your guts would work too.

Nuke some frozen mixed vegetables, mix in your potato guts with a bit of milk, and some Velveeta or other easy melting cheese. Cream cheese would be good too. Nuke some more until cheese is melted, stir. Add some pepper, eat.
Sweet...sort of an "everybody in the pool" or even an "everything but the kitchen sink" way of looking at it. I could even use fresh veggies from the garden or any combination of random leftovers.

Since I'm a bachelor (sort of) for a while I should get me some Velveeta. The wife wont touch the stuff...same with Spam...ooh!...Velveeta and Spam...OK, I'm hungry now...

That reminds me, I forgot to harvest green beans the last few days...they're are probably ginormous.

Thanks!
__________________
Chef Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
Cook
 
Chef Kenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Gnocchi with a marinara or brown butter, fresh sage sauce.
Oh hell yea. Gnocchi. Been a while, I totally didn't think about that and I actually make gnocchi a few times a year.

Right on!
__________________
Chef Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Cook
 
Chef Kenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central, VA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your welcome to keep the idea until the next time.
I might do it this time using the ramekin idea you jarred my brain in to thinking of.
__________________
Chef Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #10
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,284
These are my guys favorite.Not exactly the "Gutsy" answer you were looking for.

Wedgies!
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
potato

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.