"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
This to me sounds more like potato croquettes, which I make with leftover mashed potatoes. I dont add egg to the mixture, I just shape them into a "log", dredge in flour, then egg wash, and then in bread crumbs. Fry in butter till brown on all sides. For me potato pancakes are made with shredded raw potatoes.

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #32
Chief Eating Officer

That is how I think of it too GrantsKat.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Okay ~ should I admit this is a Rachael Ray recipe? Does that make more sense as to why they MIGHT be named the wrong thing? LOL.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I always thought the ones with the shredded potatoes were called hash browns
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Potato Latkes.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I always thought the ones with the shredded potatoes were called hash browns
Me too that's why I'm now totally confused.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
LOL ok heres a link to a recipe similar to what my grandmother made, I make them this way alsohttp://bigspud.com/ppancak4.txt

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
LOL ok heres a link to a recipe similar to what my grandmother made, I make them this way alsohttp://bigspud.com/ppancak4.txt
That's exactly how I make mine! I think I'll have to make some this week, it has been ages.

Barb
Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The "original", potato pancake for lack of a better word, was the Latke, which is shredded potatoes, onion, egg, and flour. I grew up eating Latkes as made above (of course, there salt and pepper were added). Hash browns also use shredded potatoes but that's all! They are browned in some sort of fat without the addition of anything else except maybe some onion. They hold together due to the crust that is formed.

This "new" one is using mashed potatoes. Now that I've thought about this for awhile the addition of flour makes perfect sense. When we make mashed potatoes we add a lot of liquid to them. Even after several days in the refrigerator sometimes potatoes will separate from their liquid. So...the flour makes sense.

Callisto, I think you have the issue pegged too with the "over mashing". They were just too loose to hold together. Maybe even MORE flour would have helped but I'm with you, I can taste the flour in my mind.

As far as it being a Rachel Ray recipe it sounds like if the recipe was followed it would have turned out i.e., adding the flour. I think RR named them appropriately. I second guess recipes all the time - that's how I ruined THREE racks of babyback ribs - boy, was I ticked!

Hey, the barrel-fermented Chardonnay would have been great with these by the way I figured the Oak would have gone nicely with the bacon juice.

Boy, do I wish there were some potatoes in my house right now

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Me too that's why I'm now totally confused.
When the question was first posted, my first thought was Latkes. I gave you the egg and flour advice not because I thought the mixture was liquid but because the flour and egg together created the binder that makes the potato pancake stay solid and not fall apart. I guess "batter" threw you but that's what the mixture is called. You may have added too many eggs if yours were runny. Try one egg next time but DON'T leave out the flour. Stir the mixture ONLY til all of the ingredients are blended.
Fry them on medium/low heat then turn up to crisp them for a few seconds. If you do it right, you'll have beautiful potato pancakes. Top them with sour cream or applesauce for a real treat.

Hash browns are potatoes that have been previously baked or you can use them raw, dried to remove all liquid, shred, then placed in a hot pan with butter and/oil. Press the potatoes so they stay together. When they're brown on the bottom, then flip the whole thing over and plate. I never add anything to my hash browns (restaurants don't either) and I use previously baked potatoes and shred them.