"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
DQ, Callisto is using leftover mashed potatoes, not raw shredded potatoes, thats why all the confusion with flour...lol

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #42
Executive Chef

DQ ~ Two eggs weren't the issue. I had a huge bowl of potatoes, two cups of cheese, and 8 green onions, in a filled to the top 4 quart bowl. One was not going to be enough because they were medium eggs.

The more I think on this, the more convinced I am that using my non-stick griddle and a very light brushing of fat would be the best way to go. There was definitely too much butter when I cooked them.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I think you are exactly right Callisto. The non-stick and VERY little fat would create the crust you were looking for. I think the key here is a dry sear versus a "fry".

I'm going to HAVE to go to the store today to get some potatoes! I'll challenge myself to a potato pancake throwdown - no matter which method works I'll still be the winner

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #44
Executive Chef

I do feel a little like Bobby Flay trying all these different methods for one recipe. I'm definitely going to try and do a dry fry tonight.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I do feel a little like Bobby Flay trying all these different methods for one recipe. I'm definitely going to try and do a dry fry tonight.
At this point I don't know if I'll get to the grocery store - I can't wait to hear how this went "down" for you With bacon juice the barrel-fermented Chard could still be on the menu - - - without the bacon juice I think whatever is open will go

In searching potato pancakes I have come across some interesting recipes. They include pesto, adding finely diced or even pureed vegetables, the list goes on! Me? I'm just after that perfect one that you are going to make tonight...I can feel it!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
This is a recipe based on leftovers and using what you already have, that's why you use the mashed...

I've made these for two years probably two dozen times a year, my issue with them is they don't stay together to flip. I love the taste, I just want some help with texture while cooking.
Callisto, I make Potato Pancakes with shredded potatoes, not leftover mashed potatoes. My approach to the mashed potatoes not sticking together to flip would be:

Form your mashed taters into patties and refrigerate a few hours to set/firm up. Make sure your pan & oil is hot enough. Use a spatula to flip 'em over.

Alternately, you could oven bake the patties on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Or - you could form the potato mixture into balls (add some spinach, egg(s) & cheese, if you like), & scoop the potato balls in muffin pans & bake.

Another way to go is to make potato knishes - wrap 'em up in phyllo dough.

I love mashed potatoes, so there's never any leftovers at my house ;-)
Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #47
Senior Cook

I grew up on potato cakes, mashed potato, egg, and a little flour mixed together, formed into a patty then dusted with flour and set in the ice box for a 1/2 hr. Then fried in a cast iron skillet. I think your problem might be the way you make your mashed potato, I grew up with fairly stiff mashed potato, some people like a less firm mashed potato, if you make a make a fluffy, very smooth mash potato, that might be where the problem starts. Too much liquid, causing too loose a potato cake batter, other then making a flour tasting potato cake, it is a lost cause, I know I've tried.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #48
Executive Chef

I had some potato pancakes at an Amish restaurant recently and when they first set them on the table I thought ewww they looked soft and on the verge of being too wet but when I tasted them I fell instantly in love! They were so full of flavor, but I can hardly even begin to tell you what was in them! They had some sort of herbs I know but there were also color specs in them that all I can guess were mabe tiny grated veggies...? All the flavors melded so good together I couldn't pick them out. They were very rich, I wouldnt be surprised if there was chicken stock in them somewhere. I tried to do a search online but came up with nothing although I did find a tasty looking Amich corn fritters recipe!
The potato pancakes I use to make years ago where simple but good, I used left over mash, salt and pepper, tiny splash ore of milk, and flour to bind it, then fried them in butter. Once in awhile they fell apart but mostly they were fine.....I have never used egg before, I'll have to try that.

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
DQ, Callisto is using leftover mashed potatoes, not raw shredded potatoes, thats why all the confusion with flour...lol

I know she was using mashed potatoes. The raw shredded potatoes I talked about were for the hash browns. Lordy, now I"M confused.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #50
Sous Chef

My 2 cents is "Get Small"..

my friend makes these a lot and they're no larger than a silver dollar..

I think he uses grated, skinned, baked potatoes, egg, a little onion, parsley..

then His deal is "cool them on a rack, paper towels make them soggy"

Eric, Austin Tx.