"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #61
Head Chef

Exclamation Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
My theory in that statement is simply what goes with MASHED potatoes. We're not talking latkes here...but mashed. Maybe it's just my tastebuds - but I stand by them and they say leave the applesauce off the mashed potato pancakes Sour cream, however, a different thing...
Peace my friend - somehow as a young child I acquired a taste for potatoes and applesauce in about any combination. Weird? I would top any potato with applesauce incuding potato pancakes.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Mama ~ that looks good. I wish mine looked like that last night. Hopefully they will tonight after I use the griddle instead of the pan. I remember trying to use the pan I used last night for regular pancakes once and it turned them just as black as the potato pancakes last night. I do believe the pan is the offender in this scenario.

Dave, I've had applesauce on potato pancakes before, just not these because of the cheddar. I could see it being done though. My mother did it on what she called Irish Potato Pancakes. I think she just wanted a fancy name for a basic potato pancake.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #63
Chief Eating Officer

Apples and cheddar go amazingly well together even though is sounds like a very odd combo. You should try at least one bite of your potato and cheddar cakes with just a little bit of applesauce, just to see what you think.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Apples and cheddar go amazingly well together even though is sounds like a very odd combo. You should try at least one bite of your potato and cheddar cakes with just a little bit of applesauce, just to see what you think.
Oh, I've tried it. The green onions put a damper on that combo. I've never been one that likes that apple pie and cheese thing, just personal tastes I guess.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #65
Chief Eating Officer

Fair enough
Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #66
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I've never tried potato pancakes, but they sound interesting. We have always made potato patties with our left-over mashed potatoes. Well, my mom did--I rarely have left-over mashed potatoes!

Barbara
Old 08-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Oh, I've tried it. The green onions put a damper on that combo. I've never been one that likes that apple pie and cheese thing, just personal tastes I guess.
Me neither. That was my father's thing putting a slice of yellow American on his apple pie. It never got passed on to me or my sister.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Dave - just for you applesauce goes into the throwdown!!!!

Callisto - I thought for a minute you meant griddle as in "it had ridges" - you mean a flat griddle and I now remember you mentioned nonstick.

Hey, it's 18 minutes after 5:00 here - are they done yet?????

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Okay, I'm home and the griddle, electric with no edges, is heating. I'll report back soon. I have to go get chives and GatorAide for the track star (my daughter).
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #70
Executive Chef

This isn't actually a traditional potato pancake recipe. That requires grated raw potatoes and onion, the egg and a bit of flour and seasoning.

I've done what you are doing with left over mashed potatoes all the time. Seems a shame to waste perfectly good mashed potatoes, yes?

I work with them cold. Shape them into patties about 1/3 inch thick. Dredge them in flour, then egg and then more flour (season the flour with S&P). Then, pan fry them in butter/olive oil combo, about 2 minutes per side. The coating will help them retain their shape and not interfere with the flavour.