"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Peace my friend - somehow as a young child I acquired a taste for potatoes and applesauce in about any combination. Weird? I would top any potato with applesauce incuding potato pancakes.
My son eschewed baby food....and almost every night he got a mashed potato with a side of applesauce for dinner. He cannot imagine mashed potatoes without the applesauce... Personally, neither can I.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Okay, I'm home and the griddle, electric with no edges, is heating. I'll report back soon. I have to go get chives and GatorAide for the track star (my daughter).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
So, the first pancake on the griddle was not altered from the night before. It was still runny but the crust was better on the griddle sprayed down with butter flavored Crisco. We added an addition of my special sour cream, chive and course ground pepper with a touch of horseradish. The sour cream added a spectacular taste to a pancake that didn't cook to desired appearance.

The second pancake illustrated the "size matters" adage. It was smaller, had an addition of some more flour, and allowed to cook without disruption for a longer period of time. While still runny, the taste and consistancy was improved.

We are currently waiting to cook pancake three while partaking in the DVR'd ep of Army Wives and our stomach to settle. The next cake will have more flour (it's a big bowl) and the temp of the griddle will be adjusted.

We have proven, the griddle is the key. The color has been wonderful, it's getting a consistant cook we are now looking for. We are hoping the addition of more flour to the really big vat of potatoes will aid in the cooking process.

So, did I sound like a judge on Throwdown??? So far so good, but I want more crisp, less runny.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Pictures would be nice, too.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

It's sounding like you are "getting somewhere"!!! Can't wait for the final verdict!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Pictures would be nice, too.
Wouldn't they be? Unfortunately no batteries and no clue how to get pics out of my phone

Quote:
It's sounding like you are "getting somewhere"!!! Can't wait for the final verdict!
The verdict is EXCELLENT. Patience is a virtue, that's for sure. I waited 5 minutes before even attempting to turn and that really helped. I also know that I over added to the original mashed potatoes. I now know what to do to do it 100% perfectly. These were great, but I can do better. Like the Bionic Woman, we can make them better, stronger, faster! It's all about the original mashed potatoes now.

thanks for all the encouragement. It's been fun to do this throw down.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It's been fun to do this throw down.
It's like I said - if you do a throwdown against yourself you still win - well, but you lose most of the time ....maybe I need to rethink this

Excellent Callisto!!!! I do have some questions:

1. Did you cook your potatoes and mash or did you actually make mashed potatoes first? I'm not sure if you started fresh or not is why I'm asking.

2. Did you dust them on the outside with flour?

3. So...I take it you did add flour to the mashed potatoes - did you add more than you thought you'd have to and was the taste a surprise i.e., didn't taste floury?

Yes, this has been fun!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wouldn't they be? Unfortunately no batteries and no clue how to get pics out of my phone

The verdict is EXCELLENT. Patience is a virtue, that's for sure. I waited 5 minutes before even attempting to turn and that really helped. I also know that I over added to the original mashed potatoes. I now know what to do to do it 100% perfectly. These were great, but I can do better. Like the Bionic Woman, we can make them better, stronger, faster! It's all about the original mashed potatoes now.

thanks for all the encouragement. It's been fun to do this throw down.
First thing on order; Hold it upside down and shake it.

And I thought that was the six million dollar man.... must be a gender thing

Glad they turned out. I'd like to attempt these myself someday and I liked this thread a lot.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #79
Sous Chef

Now make some schnitzelen, pork or veal, to go with your potato pancakes and applesauce. I'll be over presently.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Now make some schnitzelen, pork or veal, to go with your potato pancakes and applesauce. I'll be over presently.
Not sure what a schnitzelen is but I don't eat pork or veal.

Quote:
It's like I said - if you do a throwdown against yourself you still win - well, but you lose most of the time ....maybe I need to rethink this

Excellent Callisto!!!! I do have some questions:

1. Did you cook your potatoes and mash or did you actually make mashed potatoes first? I'm not sure if you started fresh or not is why I'm asking.

2. Did you dust them on the outside with flour?

3. So...I take it you did add flour to the mashed potatoes - did you add more than you thought you'd have to and was the taste a surprise i.e., didn't taste floury?

Yes, this has been fun!
1. Made mashed potatoes and ate them with gravy and then used the left overs for the recipe.

2. Sprinkling with flour wasn't possible. The batter was like a batter more than a "biscuit." It would have been like dusting a pancake with extra flour.

3. I did add flour to the mashed potatoes and I believe it helped this batch. Next time I'll make starchier potatoes, eliminating my usual sour cream and just using butter and milk, should make for stiffer potatoes.

The griddle definitely made the difference. I'm thinking of a couple other ideas to fix what I've got left. I'll report back tonight.