Potato Pancakes Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dear friends where is it written that applesauce doesn't go with potato pancakes of most any kind? Of course it may be written, but I don't believe all that I read. Love applesauce with!:chef:

Thanks for the backup David. The line "where is it written" is, of course, a dead givaway as to your heritage, ;) so you know about the applesauce/sour cream thing. I eat in a lot of Jewish restaurants and always get a side of both with my latkes.

Thanks for the backup David. The line "where is it written" is, of course, a dead givaway as to your heritage, ;) so you know about the applesauce/sour cream thing. I eat in a lot of Jewish restaurants and always get a side of both with my latkes.
I don't know about the comment being key to his heritage. I'm Irish German, my mother was full Irish and she always served her potato pancakes with applesauce, but hers didn't have as many ingredients.

Hi Guys and Gals

Thanks for the compliment DramaQueen! But no - I was raised as a Methodist in Hickory, North Carolina. Now I'm not much of anything I guess, including being a good cook. I take spurts and have been contemplating my next spurt - at least two solid meals of a culture "foreign" to me, and include acouple of baked goods from it. Now! Who is of the Jewish tradition out there who could advise me as to acouple of menus with pointers to recipes?

Chalah(?), the braded bread is a must. Email me or what ever, this would be great. Thanks guys and gals.
As this thread has wandered a bit - yes I vote for a nice slice of cheddar on my warm apple pie! Hard to beat.

Thanks for the compliment DramaQueen! But no - I was raised as a Methodist in Hickory, North Carolina. Now I'm not much of anything I guess, including being a good cook. I take spurts and have been contemplating my next spurt - at least two solid meals of a culture "foreign" to me, and include acouple of baked goods from it. Now! Who is of the Jewish tradition out there who could advise me as to acouple of menus with pointers to recipes?

Chalah(?), the braded bread is a must. Email me or what ever, this would be great. Thanks guys and gals.
As this thread has wandered a bit - yes I vote for a nice slice of cheddar on my warm apple pie! Hard to beat.

Dave - you could post your questions in a new thread in the Ethnic Forum - perfect place. Bound to get seen versus here.

I guess my reference to not liking applesauce with my potato pancakes is because I was referencing "mashed" potato pancakes and any "mashed" potato pancakes I have had did not equate well with applesauce. I'm sure some would but those I have had do not. But latkes is another story - can't eat them WITHOUT applesauce :LOL:

Can you send an email with your phone? I email my phone pix to myself; just add your email address to your own contact info. HTH.

I do that also.
And you can also use your pc to send pics to your phone, like if you have a pic on your pc you want to use as wallpaper on your cell phone. Your cell needs to have a text message/pictures plan. For Verizon cell phones you would send the email to: your 10 digit cell number @vzwpix.com. And for AT&T it's your 10 digit cell number @mms.att.net. It's easier for me to send a "text message" that way to somebody's cell phone rather than using my cell phone to type on.
Just in case anyone is wondering :)

I do that also.
And you can also use your pc to send pics to your phone, like if you have a pic on your pc you want to use as wallpaper on your cell phone. Your cell needs to have a text message/pictures plan. For Verizon cell phones you would send the email to: your 10 digit cell number @vzwpix.com. And for AT&T it's your 10 digit cell number @mms.att.net. It's easier for me to send a "text message" that way to somebody's cell phone rather than using my cell phone to type on.
Just in case anyone is wondering :)

Well, I was wondering so now I know. Thanks for that information. As tech saavy as I think I am, I didn't know I could send a picture from my computer to my cell phone. I do have Verizon so I just did what you posted and there is the picture!! I guess I'm too old. If I were a 16 yr. old I'd know these things. :LOL: I'm not at home in Vegas so I don't have my users' manual with me. How do I send pix from my phone to someone via e-mail?

Well, I was wondering so now I know. Thanks for that information. As tech saavy as I think I am, I didn't know I could send a picture from my computer to my cell phone. I do have Verizon so I just did what you posted and there is the picture!! I guess I'm too old. If I were a 16 yr. old I'd know these things. :LOL: I'm not at home in Vegas so I don't have my users' manual with me. How do I send pix from my phone to someone via e-mail?

That I don't know.... you might need a data plan for that, which I don't have/use anymore. I never tried to do that.

That I don't know.... you might need a data plan for that, which I don't have/use anymore. I never tried to do that.

It didn't take me long to figure out how to send pix from my phone to my friends by e-mail. I sent a picture to my son and it took a long time to send it but he got it. It took about 15 minutes for me to get the picture from my computer to my phone.

It didn't take me long to figure out how to send pix from my phone to my friends by e-mail. I sent a picture to my son and it took a long time to send it but he got it. It took about 15 minutes for me to get the picture from my computer to my phone.

It might be a good idea to resize the picture in your image editing software before sending it by phone, or by email, for that matter. Not everyone has a high-speed Internet connection, even now.

It might be a good idea to resize the picture in your image editing software before sending it by phone, or by email, for that matter. Not everyone has a high-speed Internet connection, even now.

I did resize my picture. Made it smaller, and my son and I both are connected to high speed cable. It still took a long time. What other reason would there be to take so long?

DAvid what is your question? I did not get it, sorry.

I tried making potato pancakes and failed!

I boiled the potatoes for 15 min (directions on bag) but I think I should have undercooked them, because I shredded them and made patties but they were like mashed potato patties. They did not fry well at all.

I boiled the potatoes for 15 min (directions on bag) but I think I should have undercooked them, because I shredded them and made patties but they were like mashed potato patties. They did not fry well at all.

If you want crispy potato cakes use raw potatoes and shred. Cooked potatoes will equate to a more mashed potato consistency.

Yes! A well-beaten egg, basically pureed, mixed in will make it hold together SO much better. Without it, they're basically fancy hashbrowns, the egg makes it a latke!

Bacon BLISS!!
You're not trying to be Kosher, are you? Potato pancakes fried in bacon leftovers :-p
It sounds tasty, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandmother used to make fried potato cakes from leftover mashed potatoes ... a little flour, some beaten up egg all mixed together with a little salt and pepper, a big tablespoon (a big table spoon - not a measuring spoon tablespoon ... could have been 1/4 - 1/2 cup) scooped up and patted into a patty ... into a cast iron skillet with a little bacon drippings ... over about medium heat.

She also make potato cakes from grated potatoes, and onions, and other stuff ... but no need to go into that since the original poster's question was about using leftover mashed potatoes.

Yes! A well-beaten egg, basically pureed, mixed in will make it hold together SO much better. Without it, they're basically fancy hashbrowns, the egg makes it a latke!

You're not trying to be Kosher, are you? Potato pancakes fried in bacon leftovers :-p
It sounds tasty, though!

If she were trying to be kosher I bet she'd know not to do that! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom