Potato Pancakes Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, so the recipe is as follows
Left over Mashed Potatoes
Cheddar Cheese
Green Onions
Salt and Pepper.

After looking around the net, I find a lot of potato pancake recipes have an egg in them. Is this something that would help bind the pancakes? Mine fall apart all the time and I've got them almost ready to cook up and I'm wondering if adding an egg or some egg whites would make them stay together but not alter the taste. I'm worried about the taste factor. I don't want it altered but I would love for them to stay together better.

Any thoughts?

Okay, so the recipe is as follows
Left over Mashed Potatoes
Cheddar Cheese
Green Onions
Salt and Pepper.

After looking around the net, I find a lot of potato pancake recipes have an egg in them. Is this something that would help bind the pancakes? Mine fall apart all the time and I've got them almost ready to cook up and I'm wondering if adding an egg or some egg whites would make them stay together but not alter the taste. I'm worried about the taste factor. I don't want it altered but I would love for them to stay together better.

Any thoughts?

The egg is necessary. It is the binder that holds the whole thing together. You also need to add a little flour to form a thick batter. Follow one of the best recipes that suits you.

I have never made them with mashed. We only used shredded. The egg is needed as DQ says.

I have never made them with mashed. We only used shredded. The egg is needed as DQ says.
This is a recipe based on leftovers and using what you already have, that's why you use the mashed.

Geebs ~ Would you use a whole egg or just the whites?

DQ ~ this isn't a liquid mixture, you put it in the pan using an ice cream scoop and press it down. Flour added would just make paste.

I've made these for two years probably two dozen times a year, my issue with them is they don't stay together to flip. I love the taste, I just want some help with texture while cooking.

Whole egg. And add the flour. Just a bit.
Thanks. I'll add a whole egg but no flour. Really, it is not liquid enough and the flour would ruin in I think.

Unless someone can explain why the flour is needed when it's a "dry" sort of recipe. The only liquid would be the egg so I guess I'm not understanding the necessity of the flour since the potatoes are already starch.

Hi Callisto - I have seen them "dusted" with flour after forming. This gives them a crust, so to speak. I agree with you about adding the flour. I have also seen them dusted with breadcrumbs - I rather like the flour as it's a VERY thin crust on the outside.

Hi Callisto - I have seen them "dusted" with flour after forming. This gives them a crust, so to speak. I agree with you about adding the flour. I have also seen them dusted with breadcrumbs - I rather like the flour as it's a VERY thin crust on the outside.
That might be interesting. I'm actually going to try frying them in a little bacon grease tonight instead of butter. Just wondering about the taste. Fortunately if it doesn't taste good, I'll know quickly and switch back to the butter. My daughter took off and won't be home so I have more than enough potato mixture to experiment.

I'll report back and let you know if the egg helped.

Thanks!!

When you pan fry them, put them in the pan and leave undisturbed for around 5 to 6 minutes on a med-low setting. If you try and move them around before they form a crust, they will fall apart.

I made some for the first time a while back and they turned out pretty well. I used egg in mine as well. Mixed it up and put back in the fridge to set up a bit. Just let the crust form on the bottom before moving or flipping.

How could anything fried in bacon fat be bad?
That's what I'm thinking. It's got the fat that I need to fry the cakes and it's got all that bacony goodness without adding bacon to the cakes.

I'm going to add the egg and then put it in the fridge. I'm definitely finding that mixing ingredients together and then refrigerating is a better way of cooking things. Thanks sattie.

Really? Only 20 minutes away???? I guess I forgot exactly where you live then.

Well, don't eat them all then!!!! :LOL: How are they?

Maybe 40. I'm in Mooresville. I thought you were between Statesville and Hickory.

The grease/drippings/gold is heating right now. 15 minutes and I'll know exactly how great they are.

Back
Top Bottom