Potato Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laury

Senior Cook
If I peel my potatoes today and leave them on the kitchen counter covered with water, will they be safe to boil and mash tomorrow?

No room in the fridge, thus my dilemma.

What is your weather like in your region? Are the nights cold enough for you to put the peeled potatoes in cold water in a secure container, then put them on a porch or in the garage/carport. We have a bench in our breezeway that I use as an auxiliary "chiller" in the colder months.

What is your weather like in your region? Are the nights cold enough for you to put the peeled potatoes in cold water in a secure container, then put them on a porch or in the garage/carport. We have a bench in our breezeway that I use as an auxiliary "chiller" in the colder months.
Looks to be about 43 tonight. I could set it outside. Is there really a safety issue with this? Maybe I better google around - or- just wait until tomorrow to peel them.

If your temp is what you say it will be, that's about what parts of the inside of a refrigerator are. In view of that, I say peel them, cover with water and put them outside. Just don't let any critters find them. That's one of our concerns where I live, but we've foiled them so far.

As long as they're covered in water, they should be fine. Cover 'em up and put them in the garage.

Looks to be about 43 tonight. I could set it outside. Is there really a safety issue with this? Maybe I better google around - or- just wait until tomorrow to peel them.

Yes, there is a safety issue with this. Salmonella is on potatoes; if you peel them and leave them at room temp, it could grow enough to make people sick. According to the FDA, the "danger zone," where pathogens grow quickly, is between 41 and 135 degrees F. I think you'd be all right putting them outside. If you have any ice in your freezer, I'd add some to the container.

Thanks everyone! But I've run out of steam so I'm just going to wait and peel them tomorrow closer to mealtime.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Can't wait for the leftovers when everyone's gone!

Back
Top Bottom