"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
Sous Chef
 
menumaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South West France
Posts: 588
Sorry, but what is miracle whip please? I haven't seen it this side of the pond.
__________________

__________________
Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Sorry, but what is miracle whip please? I haven't seen it this side of the pond.
It's like a sweet mayonnaise. It has it's fans, though I prefer Helman's Light mayo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Whip
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Sorry, but what is miracle whip please? I haven't seen it this side of the pond.

It has less fat than mayo (which is why they can't call it mayo -- they call it salad dressing).

But the primary difference is that MW contains a lot of added spices that give it a much brighter taste.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,885
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

It has less fat than mayo (which is why they can't call it mayo -- they call it salad dressing).

But the primary difference is that MW contains a lot of added spices that give it a much brighter taste.
Well, "brighter taste" isn't how I would describe it. I would say it is both tangier and a lot sweeter than mayo. It has a sort of anti chic because it used to be less expensive than mayo.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,272
Tangier to me is a brighter taste. Plus the spices.

It's a great ingredient to use for potato salad and deviled eggs.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
It has less fat than mayo (which is why they can't call it mayo -- they call it salad dressing).

But the primary difference is that MW contains a lot of added spices that give it a much brighter taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, "brighter taste" isn't how I would describe it. I would say it is both tangier and a lot sweeter than mayo. It has a sort of anti chic because it used to be less expensive than mayo.
I'm with taxy on the "sweeter" judgement. For me it's too sweet to use with meats as a spread. Between mayo and MW there is a five-fold difference (.02 vs 1 gram of sugar). Use the Fat Free version of anything and they load it up with even more sugar. Give me the old-fashioned vices. And as far as using it in any salad I'd rather avoid the sweet taste and add the particular spices that I'm wanting at that meal. JMO. Good thing there are SO many different choice at the market.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The base dressing to our potato salad is mayo, marzetti's, french's yellow mustard S&P. I like Miracal Whip but Karen doesn't.
What is Marzetti's?

I am going to make a small potato salad for myself next month and I am going to try the mayo/MW combo. It sounds interesting.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

What is Marzetti's?

I am going to make a small potato salad for myself next month and I am going to try the mayo/MW combo. It sounds interesting.
Addie, it's a brand of salad dressing, usually sold in the produce section.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm with taxy on the "sweeter" judgement. For me it's too sweet to use with meats as a spread. Between mayo and MW there is a five-fold difference (.02 vs 1 gram of sugar). Use the Fat Free version of anything and they load it up with even more sugar. Give me the old-fashioned vices. And as far as using it in any salad I'd rather avoid the sweet taste and add the particular spices that I'm wanting at that meal. JMO. Good thing there are SO many different choice at the market.


It would be gross in salad! Who would do that?

But in the summer my most requested item (I cater) is deviled eggs. MW is the miracle ingredient.

And, like I said before, even people that do t like MW alone love it when combined with Hellmans in a dressing for potato or pasta salad or deviled eggs.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #30
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,272
It would be gross in salad! Who would do that?

And I don't do fat free or low fat because you're right, they add sugar and chemicals to try to make up for the mouthfeel.

Regular Miracle Whip is lower fat than mayo, as I explained above.

But in the summer my most requested item (I cater) is deviled eggs. MW is the miracle ingredient.

And, like I said before, even people that do t like MW alone love it when combined with Hellmans in a dressing for potato or pasta salad or deviled eggs.
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.