"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Potato salad dressing have you ever tried this?

I was looking at a YouTube video on one woman's way to make chunky potato salad. She had some excellent ideas. One of her ideas was to use both mayo AND (gasp) Miracle Whip. Her ratio was 1/4 Miracle Whip to 3/4 mayo. Bc I am a rare person that can see the benefits of both but prefer primarily Miracle Whip I increased the ratio to half and half and added mustard and pickle relish. AND it was the best potato salad I ever made! A little more salty this way and less bland. Really it's all I can do not to get some from the fridge and it's 3:30 am. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Miracale Whip is sweeter than mayo and also seems to have a little more vinegar in it. I like making cole slaw dressing out of it.Your potato salad sounds excellent.Will try it out this weekend. Have you ever tried adding equal amounts of sour cream to your salad?mysterchef

Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Master Chef

That's almost exactly how I make mine.

Hellmans
Miracle Whip
Grey Poupon
Worcestershire
Onion and garlic powder
Black pepper

Miracle whip gives it a great boost.

I love it when people who tell me they think Miracle Whip is disgusting ask for second and third helpings and then ask for the recipe.

Also, it makes a big difference if you sprinkle the potatoes with white wine vinegar while they are still hot.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The base dressing to our potato salad is mayo, marzetti's, french's yellow mustard S&P. I like Miracal Whip but Karen doesn't.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Master Chef

I don't have anything against Miracle Whip. I grew up in a mayonnaise family so that is what I use. A little mustard or cider vinegar is a nice touch along with minced onion, celery or celery seed, hard boiled eggs, S&P to taste. I agree with jennyema about working with the hot potatoes. I always use new potatoes and cook them with the skin on. I peel them while hot and make the salad slightly sloppy. The potatoes will absorb the dressing as they cool. Make it early in the morning or the night before and let the flavors mingle.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The base dressing to our potato salad is mayo, marzetti's, french's yellow mustard S&P. I like Miracal Whip but Karen doesn't.

Which Marzetti's? They have a number of products.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #7
Master Chef

I don't know about CraigC, but at my house Marzetti's refers to their slaw dressing.

I have a homemade cooked mayo that uses eggs, sugar, flour, butter, mustard, vinegar, milk and salt (I hope I remembered all the ingredients) That gets cooked up nice and thick and poured warm over warm potatoes. Then some mayo or Miracle Whip. Mom used MW but I use mayo. My kids prefer the mayo.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I don't know about CraigC, but at my house Marzetti's refers to their slaw dressing.

I have a homemade cooked mayo that uses eggs, sugar, flour, butter, mustard, vinegar, milk and salt (I hope I remembered all the ingredients) That gets cooked up nice and thick and poured warm over warm potatoes. Then some mayo or Miracle Whip. Mom used MW but I use mayo. My kids prefer the mayo.
My Grandmother made a boiled dressing like that and I enjoyed it.

When I make it the taste is fine but the texture does not suit me, I must be doing something wrong

Could you share your recipe?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Head Chef

I absolutely hate miracle whip hubbie likes it., but one day I was making salads, potato and mac and I always use all mayo, I went to get another jar of mayo from the pantry and what no mayo I always have a couple of jars on hand . -- great I'm not going to store at this hour of the night so I finished with miracle whip, hoping that I had enough mayo in the salads to not notice the taste of the miracle whip. Well to my surprise, hubbie says what did you do different to the salads. I ask why and he said your salad s are always good but now it is better what did you do different. I told him and he was happy to think as much as I hate miracle whip I use it. I also got a lot of compliments from the ones at the party. But I didn't tell them my secret. I now make them about 1/2 and 1/2.
Who knew that running out of mayo I found a new taste.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My Grandmother made a boiled dressing like that and I enjoyed it.

When I make it the taste is fine but the texture does not suit me, I must be doing something wrong

Could you share your recipe?
Here you go Aunt Bea

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs flour (heaping)
2 Tbs butter
yellow mustard
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup milk

In sauce pan beat the eggs, sugar and salt together, add the flour and mustard (I usually just give the bottle a good squeeze, never measured it) Turn heat on med and add butter (doesn't have to be melted, just throw it in)
Add vinegar and milk. Raise heat and bring to boil stirring constantly until thick. Should be about soft set pudding consistency and pour-able.

This keeps for a long time in the fridge. I've used it as much as 4 months from making it too. Go light on the mustard and add spinach for a good scalloped spinach dish too.

Makes a wonderful base for ham salad as well.

We always add some mayo or miracle whip to potato salad when we make it