Poutine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some more variations re: poutine:

http://cheesecurdsburgers.com/CheeseCurdsMenu_March.pdf

Chuck's Awesome Poutine : Recipes : Cooking Channel

Poutine with Homemade Gravy Recipes | Ricardo

Traditional Quebec Poutine Recipe - Thermador

West of the City - Duck Confit Poutine

Poutine Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Greek-Style Poutine Recipe

The Marilyn Denis Show | Cooking | Russell Peters cooks up fun in the kitchen

Once you get past the idea of cheese + gravy on fries, you can make your own variation...I'm thinking a "scalloped potato and ham" with Swiss cheese would be interesting. Definitely not something to include in your weekly meal rotation. And there's breakfast poutine with sausage/bacon/ham and a poached egg on top.

Last edited:
We have Canadian satellite TV, and we see commercials for McDonalds poutine. Don't know if it's a temporary offering, or if it's a regular part of the Canadian menu at Mickey D's. To be honest, it doesn't look that appetizing to me, but I've always preferred plain old fries with just salt - I don't even use ketchup on them.

I've always wanted to try it since I've heard about it at DC for years.

I'll definitely pick up the package kit from Trader Joe's as I read the total review that said the curds have the necessary "squeak" when you chew them. Since I don't have a source of squeaky curds, it sounds like the thing to do. :yum:;)

Thanks for the info Cave. I'm always happy with Trader Joe's products.

All this talk about poutine...picked up curds yesterday and plan on poutine using leftover turkey gravy tomorrow (Boxing Day). I do plan on doing a few twists.

All this talk about poutine...picked up curds yesterday and plan on poutine using leftover turkey gravy tomorrow (Boxing Day). I do plan on doing a few twists.

A few twists?? I'm thinking Pulled Pork Poutine. :yum:

img_1330556_0_ed3f37d5bbfd66b34b671c8e01bb60f0.jpg

A few twists?? I'm thinking Pulled Pork Poutine. :yum:

img_1330636_0_ed3f37d5bbfd66b34b671c8e01bb60f0.jpg

This year I had my first Poutine, now I know why I share a kindredship with Canadians. Love of fried food and gravy and they mix them then add cheese curds......

Ok this one was way over the top but...... Triple Pork Poutine from Smokes Poutinerie Halifax NS

Chipotle Pulled Pork
Double-Smoked Bacon
Italian Sausage

Tripple Pork Poutine by powerplantop, on Flickr

Let that soak in...

Last edited:
Here's my critique of Trader Joe's Poutine:

I bought it yesterday (the person I asked there didn't even know they had it!) and fixed it last night for my solitary dinner.

Bottom line? I wouldn't bother.

Of course, I've never lived where poutine was served so I may not be the best judge, but I do like all sorts of food, not 'picky' at all.

I'll try making it myself, using Ore-Ida's Fast Food Fries, buy the curds, and make up a packet of Knorr's gravy. It can't be worse and I think it will be better.

Reasons? The fries, while o.k., weren't Ore-Ida's.;)
The gravy was very thin and not much of it.
The curds were maybe the best part----- they were chewier than the ones I can buy here. Whether they were authentic or not, I don't know. And there weren't many.

Anyway, if anyone else tries TJs poutine and can compare it to the real deal, I'd be glad to hear their opinion.

To tell you the truth I wasn't quite sure who Trader Joe was so I had to google it and found out you had bought frozen Poutine. No wonder you didn't like it. McCain Foods tried frozen poutine something like 10 years ago and it didn't last very long. :sick:

I did some more googling and found a review that pretty much agrees with your experience. What's Good at Trader Joe's?: Trader Joe's Poutine

Poutine needs to be made fresh with fresh ingredients. :yum:

Robert Dawg

Thanks for the validation. I doubt I'll make french fries from scratch :) OR the gravy. :( Color me lazy.

But I'm sure jury-rigging a recipe has to be better than TJs.
Pity us poor Yanks who can't find poutine in restaurants. (or at least near where I live, which really isn't that far from Canada.)

Robert Dawg

Thanks for the validation. I doubt I'll make french fries from scratch :) OR the gravy. :( Color me lazy.

But I'm sure jury-rigging a recipe has to be better than TJs.
Pity us poor Yanks who can't find poutine in restaurants. (or at least near where I live, which really isn't that far from Canada.)
If you can get the cheese curds, go for it. Any French fries you like, any gravy you like. The first time I had poutine, the resto had one variation. They called "Italian poutine", served with "spaghetti sauce" instead of gravy. It was pretty good, but I prefer with gravy.

TL, Strangely enough I CAN get cheese curds here. So, I'm good to go!

If you can get the cheese curds, go for it. Any French fries you like, any gravy you like. The first time I had poutine, the resto had one variation. They called "Italian poutine", served with "spaghetti sauce" instead of gravy. It was pretty good, but I prefer with gravy.

Italian poutine with spaghetti sauce?! :ohmy:
Did they use gnocchi instead of fries, too? And parmesan instead of cheddar curds?
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom