"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post

Oh, and here is a sight that explains how powdered butter is possible (and I'm sure the same process could be used for peanut butter), and how it is made shelf-stable. https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/i...ter_powder.htm
Thanks for your input!
That doesn't really explain much.

"... Then, the powder is made by cleverly processing milk solids with the butter."

They say it stays fresh because they add an anti-oxidant, but say what they use as an anti-oxidant. If it's tocopherol (vitamin E) that's okay, but it might be something obnoxious.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
While it's not truly dehydrated, some of the moisture is removed, so I looked at price per tbsp serving. A #10 can of powdered butter at $21.50 gives 192 tbsp servings at about 11.2 cents per serving. A lb of fresh butter at 2.50 gives 32 servings at about 7.8 cents per serving. I'd love to know where you're shopping, though! Around here it's pretty rare that I see even store-brand butter for under 3 bucks a lb! It is still more expensive, but if it is something that I can keep in storage (we live in an apartment with limited freezer space, but a fair sized pantry) and it works, it might be worth keeping a can around.
I was upset yesterday when my butter went up to $2.89/lb. It had been steady at 2.39 for a couple of years. I get it at Costco. The Tillamook brand is just about the same price now...I'll be buying that until it goes up and then back to Costco. Oh! I'm in Montana...with the cows. :)

Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was upset yesterday when my butter went up to $2.89/lb. It had been steady at 2.39 for a couple of years. I get it at Costco. The Tillamook brand is just about the same price now...I'll be buying that until it goes up and then back to Costco. Oh! I'm in Montana...with the cows. :)
I buy several pounds of butter and put them in the fridge when they go on sale for $2.99/lb. The best special we ever get is 2 lbs for $5. And our dollar is just about at par with yours at the moment.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #14
Half Baked

Powdered Butter?............Can you snort it?...........J/K

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Powdered Butter?............Can you snort it?...........J/K
Sure, but it makes you crave popcorn for a week.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I buy several pounds of butter and put them in the fridge freezer when they go on sale for $2.99/lb. The best special we ever get is 2 lbs for $5. And our dollar is just about at par with yours at the moment.
D'oh!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Oh how I miss the Northwest, with a Costco in every city! The nearest ones here are 35-40 minutes away. My husband works for Costco, but at a distribution center, so he can't even shop after work. We only make it down every few months. :(
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh how I miss the Northwest, with a Costco in every city! The nearest ones here are 35-40 minutes away. My husband works for Costco, but at a distribution center, so he can't even shop after work. We only make it down every few months. :(
Thank him for me for a job well done! I love Costco! Get most of my books there.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #19
Master Chef

[QUOTE=mcnerd;928296]Powdered butter has 0.05 grams of fat in it and only 19 calories in a Tablespoon. You are really missing something if you have never tried it. Because it has basically no fat in it you have a long storage life. Emergency supplies will sell it in #10 cans, but you can buy it at your local grocery store in the spice section.

Its great just sprinkled on any item that you want butter on. I use it on freshly steamed veggies especially.

And don't forget there is also tons of other things that are "powdered". My favorite is powdered peanut butter, powdered sour cream, and powdered buttermilk.[/QU

Right on! It's good stuff. I don't know about using it for baking, but it's great for flavoring.