Powdered Gelatine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AeroGEL

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I made a no-bake cheesecake today that called for the use of powdered gelatine.

I followed the recipe to combine a third of a cup of hot water with a tablespoon of the powder.

To my horror, it smelt like pooh. I thought it must have gone bad even though it was in a sealed sachet with an expiry date of 2017. I was reluctant to put it into my delicious mango cheesecake so I rushed out to the local shops and bought a different brand.

On reading the box on the way home, I noticed it said... "Bovine Hide gelatine, Contains Sulphites". Is that why it stunk?

The new packet had a similar smell, but nowhere near as strong as the first packet.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Is this normal for powdered gelatine?

Thanks,
Adrian

Gelatin is typically made from collagen-rich parts of cows, like hoofs, but I've never noticed that it had a particularly strong odor.

If you're sensitive to the smell, there are vegetarian/vegan forms of gelatin available in the markets and online.

Gelatin is typically made from collagen-rich parts of cows, like hoofs, but I've never noticed that it had a particularly strong odor.

If you're sensitive to the smell, there are vegetarian/vegan forms of gelatin available in the markets and online.
Most commercial gelatin is made mostly from pigs. Like 'Knox'.
In fact buying 100% bovine gelatin is pretty expense. Most 100% bovine gelatin comes from under the hide of the beast.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom