Powdered Milk recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHAMALICIOUS

Senior Cook
I got some powder milk, as i seen this recipe in a magazine n i thought id like to try that out, an indian dessert, pistachio balls in sugar syrup, a bit of a twist on gulab jamun i guess. Well now im home and i have the milk but i dont feel like making that anymore lol :rolleyes: anything else i can make with the milk?

Here is a brownie recipe (not chocolate but made with nuts) that you can use your powdered milk in. Please keep in mind it's also inspired by Indian flavors. It is one of my favorites to make especially in winter. It goes so well with a cup of tea.

2 cups of walnuts ground finely
1 cup of powdered milk
2 sticks of sweet butter (1 pound)
1/2 cup of semolina
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp of freshly ground cardamom
2 tsp of saffron (I like to warm it in the microwave so it's dry and then crumble it)
pinch of salt
5 whole eggs (beat them really well. They should not be stringy)

Mix all the dry ingredient in a bowl (nuts, sugar, semolina, powdered milk, cardamom and saffron)
Melt the butter and pour it in the dry ingredient bowl. Also pour the beaten eggs into the dry ingredient bowl. Stir it all together until it's a thick batter.

Pour into a greased pan and bake at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. Check to ensure it's not burnt (keep in mind it's nuts so you have to keep a close eye on it).

I normally bake it for 30 - 40 minutes and then shut the oven and let it hang around in the oven for another hour.

Cool, cut into small squares and store in an airtight container. You can serve it plain with tea or you can warm it slightly and top it with vanilla icecream. It is really simple, different and delicious. I like walnuts but you can mix and match nuts. I have also made it with a combination of walnuts, almonds and pistachios (ground all of them till I had about 2 cups). I like to use sweet nuts and nothing toasted.

Yakuta, that sounds like an amazing recipe, especially for nut lovers, i think i will try that out, will use some pecans and maybe almonds aswell! I know my parents will love a bit with their tea!

Lucky i have all the ingredients on hand, except for the saffron, but will that make a big difference? Can i use almond or vanilla extract instead?

Actually sweet butter is butter without salt. I don't think ghee would work well. It may in a pinch but I prefer butter. Also saffron does add a depth to this dish but you can skip it. Don't add vanilla though because cardamom and vanilla really don't go together. Instead I would suggest adding a bit more cardamom in place of saffron.

All the best. It truly is an awesome recipe. I got it from my aunt and it's a staple in my house. I make it all the time. Next time I will take a picture and post it on how decadent they look.

Back
Top Bottom