Power Out, What to Cook without Using Stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
A friend of mine has fell on some hard times and she's falling behind on some of her bills. Today her power was cut off and she's got 5 people living in her home. 3 of those which are children. She had an electric stove so she can't cook. What is some things that she could cook without having to use the stove? Any suggestions!

Does she have an outdoor grill? Pretty much anything that can be done on the stove could be done there. Does she have neighbors who might let her plug a slow-cooker in at their house? I hope things get better for your friend soon.

I hope her heat isn't electric also!

Barbara's suggestion is a good one about the grill, but be very sure she understands not to use it indoors! That's a matter of life and death.

The same goes for using a camp stove if she could borrow one somewhere. All cooking must be done outdoors, or risk killing everyone in the house with carbon monoxide.

This kind of thing breaks my heart, especially when kids are involved. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers, Jessica.

With a few cans of Sterno, she could cook in camping cookwear. You just have to cook in smaller amounts. Healthy salads are a possibility, as are things like canned soups, beans, and veggies, canned pasta, canned chili, canned corned beef hash, etc. These can be cooked in the can, over sterno cans, or even votive candles if need be. The only thing is that some kind of holder that would sit over the flame must be employed. This could be made of wire strung on a metal frame. Whatever is used must be stable, and sturdy to be safe. everything can be put on the stove top, which is a heat-proof surface.

If there are any army surplus stores nearby, she can get field rations that heat themselves, once exposed to oxygen.

Cereals can be made into meals as well. There are as many different types of sandwiches as there are people. Most of them can be made very nutritious and delicious.

Relish trays and fresh fruit are eaten uncooked.

Of course there are breads and cheeses, as well as the toppings that go with them.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If she has any food in the freezer, the first thing she should do is ask a neighbor/friend or church if she could store some of it in their freezer until the power comes back on or if she can use their kitchen to cook any meat that would go bad and either share the meal with the neighbor if there is too much or keep it on ice in a cooler for a day or two. It may not taste the best cold but once it is cooked it can be eaten cold.

A friend of mine has fell on some hard times and she's falling behind on some of her bills. Today her power was cut off and she's got 5 people living in her home. 3 of those which are children. She had an electric stove so she can't cook. What is some things that she could cook without having to use the stove? Any suggestions!

Does she have a fire place? If she does they can quickly be adapted for cooking/grilling.
Fireplace cooking

She could easily use the grates from a BBQ grill if need be. Set up a tripod right inside the fireplace.

If you can borrow some cast iron cookware for her. Buy some assorted aluminum pans and foil they can be used to cook with also. They're pretty cheap this time of year. She won't want her stove back. The kids will think she's the best thing ever!

Fondue cooking is easy. If you have plenty of sterno cans available. They don't last forever.

I wish her all the best of luck. If I could I'd run an extension cord over the fence and fire up my generator for her. This economy really .....!!!

Munky.

That's terrible, Jessica. Around here, it's illegal to cut off someone's power in the winter. They also have a number of programs to help with bills and can work out payment plans.

If she has access to hot water, she could make passable ramen noodles and instant oatmeal.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that. To go with some of these other ideas, she could make a 3-bean salad with canned kidney beans, cannellini beans, green beans and Italian salad dressing.

I second Dawgluver's suggestion to contact the power company. They usually have programs to help people in need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear that. To go with some of these other ideas, she could make a 3-bean salad with canned kidney beans, cannellini beans, green beans and Italian salad dressing.

You can also get the pre-made bean salad, and add some ham or salami.

A lot of canned goods, veggies, soups, etc, can be eaten straight out of the can. They don't taste as good as when they're warm, of course, but they're edible. Other than that, I second the above-mentioned cooking techniques and the idea for calling the power company and finding out if there is any assistance in her area. If she lives in an area where the weather is below 40 degrees all day every day, she can always store things outside (or in her car if she feels it's safer) to keep them cold. She would just need to watch out for freezing overnight.

A lot of canned goods, veggies, soups, etc, can be eaten straight out of the can. They don't taste as good as when they're warm, of course, but they're edible. Other than that, I second the above-mentioned cooking techniques and the idea for calling the power company and finding out if there is any assistance in her area. If she lives in an area where the weather is below 40 degrees all day every day, she can always store things outside (or in her car if she feels it's safer) to keep them cold. She would just need to watch out for freezing overnight.

+1

I recall this from my poverty riddled college days.

She has bigger problems than no stove. Food that requires refrigeration storage is a big problem. I would not suggest that she attempt to cook anything inside the house on a makeshift stove or BBQ. Maybe she needs to go to a shelter or stay with a friend.

Luckily they found someone nice enough to loan them money for the power bill. The power has been cut back on and she's filing a complaint. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. I passed them on to her in case it ever happens again.

When your having trouble feeding your kids it's time to ask for some help. Churches and other groups can help getting through a rough spot. Times are hard for many but this also the season for giving and caring.

Back
Top Bottom