Practising a roux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another roux fact. As the roux gets darker, it has less thickening power so you'll need more.

and now off we go ... well, that's very interesting Andy... I did not know that! Thank You! Lesson 101 122.

So true!! I was proud of myself by making a nice dark roux ahead to thicken my Thanksgiving turkey gravy the next day. It's a good thing I made a big batch because it took all the dark roux to get it gravy constancy. Phew!!

So true!! I was proud of myself by making a nice dark roux ahead to thicken my Thanksgiving turkey gravy the next day. It's a good thing I made a big batch because it took all the dark roux to get it gravy constancy. Phew!!

I never really thought about it, but the dark roux I make for my gumbo really doesn't do much thickening. It does ad a real rich, earthy flavor. I use okra in my gumbo, which does provide some thickening, but not to a gravy kind of thickness.

CD

I never really thought about it, but the dark roux I make for my gumbo really doesn't do much thickening. It does ad a real rich, earthy flavor. I use okra in my gumbo, which does provide some thickening, but not to a gravy kind of thickness.

CD

Yep, the turkey gravy was rich and earthy flavor like you mentioned. The next year I did the same dark roux with a flour slurry as a back up. :yum:

Last edited:
Yep, the turkey gravy was rich and earthy flavor like you mentioned. The next year I did the same dark roux with a flour slurry as a back up. :yum:
I make a rich, brown turkey stock with wings in advance of Thanksgiving to use for the gravy. I also cook the flour in the fat for a few minutes. This works great :yum:

Last edited:
I didn't realize that cold milk was a good idea. I have always used cold milk, but thought I was cheating, just being lazy. So that's why I don't get lumps. :LOL:

Last edited:
I didn't realize that cold milk was a good idea. I have always used cold milk, but thought I was cheating, just being lazy. So that's why I don't get lumps. :LOL:

It seems kind of counter-intuitive, but adding cold liquids to hot roux is what you want to do to avoid lumps. I don't know why. It just works.

CD

It seems kind of counter-intuitive, but adding cold liquids to hot roux is what you want to do to avoid lumps. I don't know why. It just works.

CD
Ramsey said that it slows down the process. I guess the process of making the flower stick together.

Not all combinations of butter and flour make a roux. Here's another option for thickening sauces, stews and soups:

Beurre Manie | SAVEUR

Many thanks from me too Andy. I've never heard of this and one of the comments on it was interesting..
EAT TO LIVE • 5 years ago The first Thanksgiving that I made my first "gourmet" turkey dinner was the first time I used beurre manie to thicken the gravy. I honestly don't remember the taste of the turkey or the sides but I remember that gravy like it was yesterday. Silky, shiny, creamy and buttery. This method is super easy and foolproof. I short cut one thing, however. Use equal parts soft-ish butter and flour in a small bowl. Using a rubber spatula, work the two together into a paste. I don't use my hands because, well, I'm "hot handed" and the butter turns to goo. Work the two into a paste and when the broth is simmering, use a whisk to scrap up the butter mixture from the bowl and whisk it in quickly. Done. In thirty years of doing this my gravies and sauces have NEVER clumped up on me.

I've never worried too much about flour lumps in my gravy. Between immersion blenders and strainers, it's not a serious problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom