"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Yes to everything except the potatoes. I wouldn't want the chopped potatoes to sit in water overnight. If you want to prep the day before, go ahead and make the mashed potatoes. It reheats beautifully. I do that all the time.
This was going to be my suggestion. My wife does a make-ahead mashed potato recipe with sour cream and cream cheese that is delicious, and she always does them the day before, then just pops them in the oven for about the last hour with the turkey. Her recipe is similar to THIS except that I don't think she uses the onion powder.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Executive Chef

One job I do ahead of time is the dressing or stuffing. Since I never stuff the bird and always make my stock ahead of time, I can make the dressing, put it into the baking dish and cover with foil until the next day. Then bake.
This saves me a lot of time.

I have never done it, but it sounds like a plan on the potato's.
I have read and have heard its perfectly fine to peel and cut up the spuds and leave them in water in the fridge overnight. ( I do do this for several hours on some occasions)
I might just make them completely the day before and then heat and fluff on turkey day.
I have got to find some ways to make this holiday easier as I have not been well.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a balancing act between preparing dishes ahead of time and finding adequate refrigerator space to store it all. The turkey, pies and other ingredients take up a lot of space.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
Master Chef

I always prepare the dressing the day before and refrigerate it in the removable well of my Nesco 6qt. roaster oven.

Like so many, the day before I also fully prepare the mashed potato recipe (no milk, only sour cream, cream cheese, butter). Preparing ahead with milk gives the dish that "left over" taste to be avoided.

Flat cookie sheets can sometimes act as shelves allowing flat dishes to be stacked in the refrigerator.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

I also make the stuffing in the Nesco the day before and serve it out of the cooking well. In fact, almost everything but the turkey is done the day before. Mashed potatoes are done the day before, and we like sweet potatoes too, so they're mashed and seasoned with a little brown sugar and orange juice, and refrigerated. We usually have fresh green beans and those are cleaned and prepped the day before so all they need is steamed and seasoning.

I usually buy a couple of wings, roast them, and make extra gravy ahead of time, there just never seems to be enough for all the leftovers with just the drippings from the bird.

I dislike having a huge clean up when we're all stuffed and want to just relax after dinner, so the more we can make the day before, the better.

My daughter and I share making the sides each year, so neither of us have an overwhelming amount of casserole dishes battling for fridge space. She's roasting the turkey at her house this year and will do a couple of sides, and I'll bring several as well.

Good idea about using the cookie sheets for stacking extras in the fridge, Kay!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Master Chef

I learned that cookie sheet trick long ago Cheryl, when I had my hated Side by Side fridge.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I learned that cookie sheet trick long ago Cheryl, when I had my hated Side by Side fridge.
I had one years ago too, Kay. Didn't like it at all either and was so happy when I replaced it.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Well, I'm hoping the extra folding tables arrive sometime this weekend. I'm
not as fast as I used to be, so I like it if we can "set up" on tuesday, get out serving dishes, which also requires a lot of climbing up and down from higher cupboard shelves etc. Prepare food on Wed. We make dressing and put in baking dishes, peel 10 lb potatoes, Dx makes one pie and I prep a vegetable. Last year we baked one turkey the day before and one the day of, this year we are only making one turkey. I make one pan of gravy the day before. I feel like I am forgetting something. Luckily Dx has a Long List and equally important, a freezer and an extra old frig in the basement so food storage is not an issue.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #19
Cook

Keep going, everyone......I'm not too old to learn new tricks. I looked at the electric roasters for years but never gave them any consideration......they sound like a great appliance.

The only things prepped before Thanksgiving was baking pies or making refrigerated desserts. I always had my work cut out for me on Thanksgiving Day and had to get a very early start.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:10 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

If you're making cranberry sauce or relish, that can be done this weekend.

Tags
thanksgiving