"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
Master Chef

I take advantage of my gargantuan fridge. Up here, we call it The U.P.

I use the nearly freezing outside temps, and the back seat and trunk of my car to store some of the food, as there isn't enough room in the electric fridge in my kitchen. It works fantastic. You just have to make sure that everyhthing is properly contained.

Also, remember that everything that is cold has to be heated and be hot at the same time for the dinner. Plan carefully.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I use the nearly freezing outside temps, and the back seat and trunk of my car to store some of the food, as there isn't enough room in the electric fridge in my kitchen. It works fantastic. You just have to make sure that everyhthing is properly contained.

Also, remember that everything that is cold has to be heated and be hot at the same time for the dinner. Plan carefully.

Thanks for the memory!!!

We used to have a few stashes, depending on just how cold things needed to be, the attic stairs, the back porch, a spare bedroom, etc... The hardest part was remembering where we put things!

My grandmother used to tell us about people installing a wooden crate/box outside the kitchen window for a makeshift cooler in the winter.

Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

We have a nice cold snap dropping in today, so car in the garage will serve me well when I finish my pan of dressing if I can't arrange the fridge to accommodate it. Means that it's all loaded up ready to go tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Well I decided to take Chiefs advice and do the make ahead turkey. Its in the oven at this very moment.
Yesterday I made turkey stock with roasted root vegetables and roasted turkey backs. (per GG's picture)
I let it cool then strained it and put it into the back of my truck outside as it was hovering around 39F and temps were expected in the low 30's. Hope that was okay? I had no room for it in the fridge.

I then set about prepping the turkey for todays roasting. Rinsing, drying (I did not have time to air dry) and heavily seasoned with creole (Essence) seasoning and salt and pepper (hope its not to hot)! The drippings should be quite spicy.

This morning I removed the stock from vehicle, and put in the fridge where the turkey was sitting.

Next is the dressing. I will make that today also and keep in fridge to bake tomorrow.
I also plan to make the gravy today. We are cheating with Pioneer brand brown gravy and my turkey stock. I will not have to make a roux this time.
I have no idea why Pioneer does not make turkey or chicken gravy mix? The brown gravy mix is darn good and can be reheated easily with no effect. Might even be better reheated. I'm not certain how a dark gravy will go over? But guess what. I don't care. Well maybe a little.

So tomorrow is re-heat day with little to no cooking. Family and friends will bring the other items and I made sure they understood that anything they bring that requires cooking, should be cooked before you get here.
I cannot stand when someone brings something thats not cooked and we have to make accommodations.

Well thanks Chief especially and everyone else that contributed to this thread. You guys gave me the courage to pre-cook everything!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Well I decided to take Chiefs advice and do the make ahead turkey. Its in the oven at this very moment.
Yesterday I made turkey stock with roasted root vegetables and roasted turkey backs. (per GG's picture)
I let it cool then strained it and put it into the back of my truck outside as it was hovering around 39F and temps were expected in the low 30's. Hope that was okay? I had no room for it in the fridge.

I then set about prepping the turkey for todays roasting. Rinsing, drying (I did not have time to air dry) and heavily seasoned with creole (Essence) seasoning and salt and pepper (hope its not to hot)! The drippings should be quite spicy.

This morning I removed the stock from vehicle, and put in the fridge where the turkey was sitting.

Next is the dressing. I will make that today also and keep in fridge to bake tomorrow.
I also plan to make the gravy today. We are cheating with Pioneer brand brown gravy and my turkey stock. I will not have to make a roux this time.
I have no idea why Pioneer does not make turkey or chicken gravy mix? The brown gravy mix is darn good and can be reheated easily with no effect. Might even be better reheated. I'm not certain how a dark gravy will go over? But guess what. I don't care. Well maybe a little.

So tomorrow is re-heat day with little to no cooking. Family and friends will bring the other items and I made sure they understood that anything they bring that requires cooking, should be cooked before you get here.
I cannot stand when someone brings something thats not cooked and we have to make accommodations.

Well thanks Chief especially and everyone else that contributed to this thread. You guys gave me the courage to pre-cook everything!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!
Not the Pioneer brand but I have seen chicken gravy in the packets at Walmart.
I love the country gravy packets.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #36
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Last night I made 2 kinds of cranberry sauce, roux for gravy, browned butter for drizzling on sweet potatoes, pie crust and cooked down a pumpkin.

Today list: house cleaning, pie making, prepping veggies (wash, peel, etc), making tea, finding good dinner tunes for the stereo and dog bathing. Tomorrow will be a snap (relatively speaking).
Old 11-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a pumpkin pie in the oven. Apple pie is next. Then I'll prep the stuffing bread and veggies. Later I'll make the brine for the turkey. That goes together before bed tonight. DD is bringing a veggie and the rest is for tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What a kind and generous thing to do, Cheryl. I'm sure your friend will count you as among the reasons she has to be thankful this year.
Thank you CG, I'm sure she would do the same for me. Jennifer is such an upbeat and happy person despite her frequent pain and physical limitations - we had a great day and a lot of laughs.

Just got home about an hour ago, now I'm doing my Thanksgiving preps. Oy, I'm beat.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #39
Senior Cook

OOPS

I was in the market today, and the lady in front of me was obviously cooking turkey and dressing. Had an aluminum pan, dressing mix, chicken broth, and a frozen turkey. I asked her when she planned to cook it, and she said tomorrow, both the checker and I told her that was not going to happen, as they take 3 days to thaw. She asked about leaving it out overnight, and was told that also did not work. Fortunately, there were some fresh turkeys for sale at the market. Obviously, she had never cooked a turkey before. Glad we could save her family dinner.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #40
Master Chef

Glad you were there to help her out with her dinner, Souschef! I'm sure she was very grateful for the advice from both you and the checker.

Tags
thanksgiving