"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-25-2015, 11:28 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Today before going to work at 1 I made my pies. Apple crumble, pecan, pumpkin, and chocolate fudge. I also made brine and got the turkeys soaking. Went to work and we had an incredibly busy day. Our store just completed a remodel and sales have far exceed what the company was expecting, quite an adventure! I'm pooped!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:06 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I was in the market today, and the lady in front of me was obviously cooking turkey and dressing. Had an aluminum pan, dressing mix, chicken broth, and a frozen turkey. I asked her when she planned to cook it, and she said tomorrow, both the checker and I told her that was not going to happen, as they take 3 days to thaw. She asked about leaving it out overnight, and was told that also did not work. Fortunately, there were some fresh turkeys for sale at the market. Obviously, she had never cooked a turkey before. Glad we could save her family dinner.
I was in the market yesterday and saw several people buying rock hard frozen turkeys, I wondered the same thing.

I came home and googled to find this little calculator on cold water thawing from the folks at Butterball. I think the key is to buy a small turkey and say a big prayer!

How To Thaw a Frozen Turkey | ButterballĀ®

Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

The Kitchn website says you can cook a turkey from completely frozen. It will take from 4 to 7.5 hours, depending on the size. I don't think I'd do it myself. In fact, I know I won't - we bought a breast, legs and thighs, because after our trip, we wouldn't have time to thaw it properly. I can't help but think it will overcook terribly.

Anyway, read about it here, if you like: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook...sgiving-225796
Old 11-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
Not the Pioneer brand but I have seen chicken gravy in the packets at Walmart.
I love the country gravy packets.
Yes, there are plenty chicken and turkey gravy mixes available. My problem is there is no PIONEER brand chicken or turkey gravy mixes available here.
Pioneer, being the only brand of gravy mix I would attempt to use on T day.
I'm still on the fence about the gravy. I have saved the turkey drippings and separated the fat. I have the stock and I have the flour.

I also deviated some from Chiefs suggestions and did not slice the turkey meat yet. I have it all off the bone and two beautiful whole breast halves ready for slicing up. To save room, we put all the meat into gallon freezer bags. It was required with all that resides in my fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The Kitchn website says you can cook a turkey from completely frozen. It will take from 4 to 7.5 hours, depending on the size. I don't think I'd do it myself. In fact, I know I won't - we bought a breast, legs and thighs, because after our trip, we wouldn't have time to thaw it properly. I can't help but think it will overcook terribly.

Anyway, read about it here, if you like: How to Cook a Completely Frozen Turkey for Thanksgiving | The Kitchn
My ex MIL was that type of cook. She roasted many a turkey and beef roast from completely frozen. Nothing but a big frozen hunk of meat and a little salt and pepper.
Believe it or not, her dinners were fine. Even her beef roast was medium to rare the way we all liked it.

I would never never cook this way.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #45
Head Chef

I got my part of the prep finished yesterday so I can enjoy today. I got up Wednesday morning, made the poolish for my bread so it could ferment. Then I started prepping for my wild mushroom stuffing. That came out of the oven a it before noon. I started the bread at 1 PM and had 2 Italian boules cooled and bagged by 6.

All that remains today is to heat the dressing before we head over my brother-in-law's house (it's only 2 miles ), and then heat the bread in their oven just before sitting up to the table.

The best part is that for us, our cleanup is finished. We can eat, get their dishwasher running with its first load, play a couple games of pool, then head home to watch what remains of the traditional Thanksgiving football games.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Final countdown in progress. Turkey's almost done. Stuffing is ready to go in the oven. Pilaf is in the final stage. I'm hungry.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #47
Master Chef

Mashed potatoes, gravy, steamed fresh green beans with toasted slivered almonds, sweet potatoes glazed with a little brown sugar and orange juice, deviled eggs, and blackberry pie (store bought Claim Jumper ) are all sitting on the table ready to transport to my daughter's a mile away. She's doing the turkey, stuffing, and rolls.

She's only got today off from work and it's a new job she's still getting used to, so I told her I'd do most of the sides and we'll tackle the clean up together.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Tags
thanksgiving