Pre-Thanksgiving Prep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all,

I have a few questions about what all I can make the day before Thanksgiving that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. Brussels Sprouts: Can I steam/par-boil these, and then just saute them the day after? I am mainly worried about flavor, as I don't want them to taste too sulfuric after sitting overnight. Also, will it affect the texture much?

2. Mashed Potatoes: Can I chop the potatoes and leave them in water overnight? I know I have seen this in the past, but I can't remember if it changes the color or flavor of the finished product.

3. Roasted Root Vegetables: Basically I want to completely cook these and then just re-heat before the dinner. Does anyone see a problem in doing this? Veggies will include sweet potato, parsnips, new potatoes, and onion.

Thanks for any and all help

Well, i think re-heating will harmfully effect on vegetable's taste.
You should better try to re-heat em using gas grill!

I make roux for gravy in advance as well as the relish tray, cranberries and pies (unless I can get someone else to bring those).

I also set the table and get serving dishes out a day ahead. The rest of dinner gets cooked the day of.

Keep going, everyone......I'm not too old to learn new tricks. I looked at the electric roasters for years but never gave them any consideration......they sound like a great appliance.

The only things prepped before Thanksgiving was baking pies or making refrigerated desserts. I always had my work cut out for me on Thanksgiving Day and had to get a very early start.

My boss has one and it does come in handy. We've used it at work to cook a whole turkey and it worked quite well. She also uses it for large batches of chili to bring to work. Hers is just an inexpensive GE from Walmart.

I like taking home a drumstick and wing after Thanksgiving dinner and pouring a lot of salt on it. Why? Because around 10:00 PM that night, I'm hungry again. :LOL:

Leftover white turkey meat for sandwiches is like nothing that can be duplicated except by roasting a whole turkey.

All the flavor of the bones and seasoning and all is something you just can't get cooking it any other way.

Last edited:
I was all set to get up early (for me :LOL:) tomorrow morning and start on the Thanksgiving sides, but a disabled friend called me today and asked me if I would come to her house and help her prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. I know it was a hard thing for her to ask and I love her dearly, so I'll be going over to her house around 8 tomorrow morning. We'll work on whatever she wants help with until she decides she's done. :wub:

I figure I'll still have tomorrow evening to prep, and we're not having dinner until around 1 or 2 on Thanksgiving Day, so there will still be plenty of time for do-aheads.

I like taking home a drumstick and wing after Thanksgiving dinner and pouring a lot of salt on it. Why? Because around 10:00 PM that night, I'm hungry again. :LOL:

Leftover white turkey meat for sandwiches is like nothing that can be duplicated except by roasting a whole turkey.

All the flavor of the bones and seasoning and all is something you just can't get cooking it any other way.
Must ask. Why a lot of salt?

Wednesday morning I get up, make a disposable roaster pan full of wild mushroom stuffing, then spend about 4 hours making a couple of loaves of bread (Italian Boules from THIS site). That should be a full day, but I have to do nothing on Thanksgiving but heat them both up before dinner at my wife's brother's house, eat, then watch football. :chef:

I was all set to get up early (for me :LOL:) tomorrow morning and start on the Thanksgiving sides, but a disabled friend called me today and asked me if I would come to her house and help her prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. I know it was a hard thing for her to ask and I love her dearly, so I'll be going over to her house around 8 tomorrow morning. We'll work on whatever she wants help with until she decides she's done. :wub:...
What a kind and generous thing to do, Cheryl. I'm sure your friend will count you as among the reasons she has to be thankful this year.

I take advantage of my gargantuan fridge. Up here, we call it The U.P.:LOL:

I use the nearly freezing outside temps, and the back seat and trunk of my car to store some of the food, as there isn't enough room in the electric fridge in my kitchen. It works fantastic. You just have to make sure that everyhthing is properly contained.

Also, remember that everything that is cold has to be heated and be hot at the same time for the dinner. Plan carefully.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I use the nearly freezing outside temps, and the back seat and trunk of my car to store some of the food, as there isn't enough room in the electric fridge in my kitchen. It works fantastic. You just have to make sure that everyhthing is properly contained.

Also, remember that everything that is cold has to be heated and be hot at the same time for the dinner. Plan carefully.

Thanks for the memory!!!

We used to have a few stashes, depending on just how cold things needed to be, the attic stairs, the back porch, a spare bedroom, etc... The hardest part was remembering where we put things! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My grandmother used to tell us about people installing a wooden crate/box outside the kitchen window for a makeshift cooler in the winter.

Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Last edited:

We have a nice cold snap dropping in today, so car in the garage will serve me well when I finish my pan of dressing if I can't arrange the fridge to accommodate it. Means that it's all loaded up ready to go tomorrow. ;)

Well I decided to take Chiefs advice and do the make ahead turkey. Its in the oven at this very moment.
Yesterday I made turkey stock with roasted root vegetables and roasted turkey backs. (per GG's picture)
I let it cool then strained it and put it into the back of my truck outside as it was hovering around 39F and temps were expected in the low 30's. Hope that was okay? I had no room for it in the fridge.

I then set about prepping the turkey for todays roasting. Rinsing, drying (I did not have time to air dry) and heavily seasoned with creole (Essence) seasoning and salt and pepper (hope its not to hot)! The drippings should be quite spicy.

This morning I removed the stock from vehicle, and put in the fridge where the turkey was sitting.

Next is the dressing. I will make that today also and keep in fridge to bake tomorrow.
I also plan to make the gravy today. We are cheating with Pioneer brand brown gravy and my turkey stock. I will not have to make a roux this time.
I have no idea why Pioneer does not make turkey or chicken gravy mix? The brown gravy mix is darn good and can be reheated easily with no effect. Might even be better reheated. I'm not certain how a dark gravy will go over? But guess what. I don't care. Well maybe a little. ;)

So tomorrow is re-heat day with little to no cooking. Family and friends will bring the other items and I made sure they understood that anything they bring that requires cooking, should be cooked before you get here.
I cannot stand when someone brings something thats not cooked and we have to make accommodations.

Well thanks Chief especially and everyone else that contributed to this thread. You guys gave me the courage to pre-cook everything!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Last edited:
Well I decided to take Chiefs advice and do the make ahead turkey. Its in the oven at this very moment.
Yesterday I made turkey stock with roasted root vegetables and roasted turkey backs. (per GG's picture)
I let it cool then strained it and put it into the back of my truck outside as it was hovering around 39F and temps were expected in the low 30's. Hope that was okay? I had no room for it in the fridge.

I then set about prepping the turkey for todays roasting. Rinsing, drying (I did not have time to air dry) and heavily seasoned with creole (Essence) seasoning and salt and pepper (hope its not to hot)! The drippings should be quite spicy.

This morning I removed the stock from vehicle, and put in the fridge where the turkey was sitting.

Next is the dressing. I will make that today also and keep in fridge to bake tomorrow.
I also plan to make the gravy today. We are cheating with Pioneer brand brown gravy and my turkey stock. I will not have to make a roux this time.
I have no idea why Pioneer does not make turkey or chicken gravy mix? The brown gravy mix is darn good and can be reheated easily with no effect. Might even be better reheated. I'm not certain how a dark gravy will go over? But guess what. I don't care. Well maybe a little. ;)

So tomorrow is re-heat day with little to no cooking. Family and friends will bring the other items and I made sure they understood that anything they bring that requires cooking, should be cooked before you get here.
I cannot stand when someone brings something thats not cooked and we have to make accommodations.

Well thanks Chief especially and everyone else that contributed to this thread. You guys gave me the courage to pre-cook everything!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!
Not the Pioneer brand but I have seen chicken gravy in the packets at Walmart.
I love the country gravy packets.

Last night I made 2 kinds of cranberry sauce, roux for gravy, browned butter for drizzling on sweet potatoes, pie crust and cooked down a pumpkin.

Today list: house cleaning, pie making, prepping veggies (wash, peel, etc), making tea, finding good dinner tunes for the stereo and dog bathing. Tomorrow will be a snap (relatively speaking).

I have a pumpkin pie in the oven. Apple pie is next. Then I'll prep the stuffing bread and veggies. Later I'll make the brine for the turkey. That goes together before bed tonight. DD is bringing a veggie and the rest is for tomorrow.

What a kind and generous thing to do, Cheryl. I'm sure your friend will count you as among the reasons she has to be thankful this year.

Thank you CG, I'm sure she would do the same for me. Jennifer is such an upbeat and happy person despite her frequent pain and physical limitations - we had a great day and a lot of laughs. :)

Just got home about an hour ago, now I'm doing my Thanksgiving preps. Oy, I'm beat. :LOL:

Last edited:
OOPS

I was in the market today, and the lady in front of me was obviously cooking turkey and dressing. Had an aluminum pan, dressing mix, chicken broth, and a frozen turkey:ohmy:. I asked her when she planned to cook it, and she said tomorrow, both the checker and I told her that was not going to happen, as they take 3 days to thaw. She asked about leaving it out overnight, and was told that also did not work. Fortunately, there were some fresh turkeys for sale at the market. Obviously, she had never cooked a turkey before. Glad we could save her family dinner.

Last edited:
Glad you were there to help her out with her dinner, Souschef! I'm sure she was very grateful for the advice from both you and the checker.

Back
Top Bottom