"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
Cook

Pre-Thanksgiving Prep

Hi all,

I have a few questions about what all I can make the day before Thanksgiving that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. Brussels Sprouts: Can I steam/par-boil these, and then just saute them the day after? I am mainly worried about flavor, as I don't want them to taste too sulfuric after sitting overnight. Also, will it affect the texture much?

2. Mashed Potatoes: Can I chop the potatoes and leave them in water overnight? I know I have seen this in the past, but I can't remember if it changes the color or flavor of the finished product.

3. Roasted Root Vegetables: Basically I want to completely cook these and then just re-heat before the dinner. Does anyone see a problem in doing this? Veggies will include sweet potato, parsnips, new potatoes, and onion.

Thanks for any and all help

Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, yes and yes I don't think precooking will make any difference with Brussels sprouts, but sauté them in bacon grease and no one will care I would undercook the root veggies a bit, so they don't overcook during reheating.

Check this out for more information: http://blog.ruhlman.com/2015/11/ruhl...aise-turkey-2/

I'm intrigued by this turkey method, too.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Cook

What a great article, he gave some very helpful tips. Thank you for your help!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontg34 View Post
Hi all,

I have a few questions about what all I can make the day before Thanksgiving that I am hoping someone can answer.

1. Brussels Sprouts: Can I steam/par-boil these, and then just saute them the day after? I am mainly worried about flavor, as I don't want them to taste too sulfuric after sitting overnight. Also, will it affect the texture much?

2. Mashed Potatoes: Can I chop the potatoes and leave them in water overnight? I know I have seen this in the past, but I can't remember if it changes the color or flavor of the finished product.

3. Roasted Root Vegetables: Basically I want to completely cook these and then just re-heat before the dinner. Does anyone see a problem in doing this? Veggies will include sweet potato, parsnips, new potatoes, and onion.

Thanks for any and all help
Yes to everything except the potatoes. I wouldn't want the chopped potatoes to sit in water overnight. If you want to prep the day before, go ahead and make the mashed potatoes. It reheats beautifully. I do that all the time.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Yes to everything except the potatoes. I wouldn't want the chopped potatoes to sit in water overnight. If you want to prep the day before, go ahead and make the mashed potatoes. It reheats beautifully. I do that all the time.
I haven't done it myself, but restaurants do it all the time. We did it in cooking school, too. Made tournéed potatoes and then covered them with water to make mashers two days later.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

I would also recommend to prepare mashed potato and then just hit it up in the oven.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I haven't done it myself, but restaurants do it all the time. We did it in cooking school, too. Made tournéed potatoes and then covered them with water to make mashers two days later.
I've never heard of tourneed potatoes and had to look that up. I figured the OP was just talking about a normal family Thanksgiving dinner and what could be prepped ahead.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
Cook

So no soaking the mashed potatoes, but they can be cooked ahead of time anyway. That works just as well! :)
Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I've never heard of tourneed potatoes and had to look that up. I figured the OP was just talking about a normal family Thanksgiving dinner and what could be prepped ahead.
I assumed so, too. I just meant that we had peeled and cut them for class (tourné is one of the knife cuts we were required to learn), and then covered them with water and refrigerated them for later.

They can be done either way.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
...2. Mashed Potatoes: Can I chop the potatoes and leave them in water overnight? I know I have seen this in the past, but I can't remember if it changes the color or flavor of the finished product...
I have pared and cut up potatoes ahead of time on many occasions with no ill effects. I do store them in the fridge in a Tupperware-type container, covered completely with water, then drain-rinse-drain them just before putting them into the pot with fresh water to cook. If any part of a potato stays above the water, it will usually turn some shade of grey.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
..I don't think precooking will make any difference with Brussels sprouts, but sauté them in bacon grease and no one will care...
I make a Brussels sprouts "casserole" that is even better the second day! It includes bacon and mushrooms (along with tarragon and garlic powder), but if you're interested cmontg, I'll be happy to post my recipe.

Tags
thanksgiving