Pre-warming Rib Roast in hot water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was hoping someone on this site had some experience with this. I am concerned that reducing the oven time by a third will ruin the roast. I am afraid of trying it for the first time on Christmas!

What I'm gathering is that the posters on this thread, all of whom are knowledgeable about cooking, have never heard of this technique and, based on experience, don't recommend using it. It's up to you now to decide what you want to do.

I was hoping someone on this site had some experience with this. I am concerned that reducing the oven time by a third will ruin the roast. I am afraid of trying it for the first time on Christmas!

I understand your intention grandhill, but do yourself the favor of at least reading and understanding this method I'm posting. I have used it many many times with perfect results each and every time. The roast must be at room temperature to start........

Food Wishes Video Recipes: Perfect Prime Rib of Beef with the Mysterious "Method X"

Thanks for posting the link to the method I mentioned above. I've linked it so many times here I get tired of doing it :LOL:
Every holiday it seems... :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the link to the method I mentioned above. I've linked it so many times here I get tired of doing it :LOL:
Every holiday it seems... :rolleyes:

Pac, I just picked up my 9lb. prime rib to do this yet again for Christmas. You and I both agree, this is the best dang way to cook a prime rib ever!

I have been using a variation of that method for many years. It was given to me by an old girlfriend. It has the added benefit of accommodating different degrees of doneness.

Standing Rib Roast

1 Ea Standing Rib Roast
TT Salt and Black Pepper
1/4 C Flour

Preheat the oven to 500º F.

Just before putting the roast into the oven, rub it with salt, pepper, and flour.

The timing of the cooking is based upon the number of ribs and the degree of doneness you want. Multiply the number of ribs by 12 minutes for rare, 13 minutes for medium rare, and 14 for medium. For example, if you have a 4 rib roast and want it to be medium rare, you would calculate 4x13=52 minutes.

Place the roast into the 500º F oven and cook it for the prescribed time.

DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR ONCE YOU PUT IN THE ROAST.

After the calculated cooking time, shut off the oven and don't open the OVEN door.

Leave the roast in the oven for at least and hour and a half (and up to three hours. There will be no change in the degree of doneness). Do not open the oven door during this time.

After the 90-180 minutes, remove the roast and cover it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.

Thanks for posting that, Andy.
I'm going to give it a try and see if I can eliminate trying to bring the roast up to room temp and get the same results. I'll still use Food Wishes butter and herbs de provence rub though. I love the flavor it gives the outside.

This is a sane version of a recipe that omitted the original cooking time and had you just put it in the super hot oven, turn off the heat, and keep the oven door closed overnight.

Advocated for both turkey and beef. Yikes.

It's interesting Andy that the recipe I posted, and the one you posted only varied by 2 minutes for my 9 lb, 4 rib roast with the outcome of Med. Rare. There's just nothing better than a perfectly done foolproof prime rib.

It's interesting Andy that the recipe I posted, and the one you posted only varied by 2 minutes for my 9 lb, 4 rib roast with the outcome of Med. Rare. There's just nothing better than a perfectly done foolproof prime rib.

Sounds like an endorsement of the method, doesn't it?

Wouldn't it be better to cook it the traditional way (as others have said) on Christmas and save the experimentation for another, less important, occasion?

I once decided to try cooking a rib roast. It was a "standing rib roast" and when I opened the package, the bones were only tied on.

I've never been brave enough to make a rib roast, but one of these days, soon, I'm going to try Andy's method.

With some caveats and reservations, what you're proposing has some merits. I've cooked sous vide for years, both at home and professionally. What you want to do is very similar. That said, I can tell you from professional and personal experience that a big special occasion dinner is a lousy time to try something new, especially something radically new.

I will now give you the best two words of advice I can possibly think of: Meat. Thermometer. Get a decent thermometer, ideally an electronic probe with a braided steel cable and a temperature alarm, and you will never overcook meat again. Get the probe into the thickest part of the roast and set the alarm for the temp you want and you're good. The main thing to bear in mind is that as the meat sits and rests, heat will equalize meaning it will move the hotter part outside into the cooler part in the middle. We call this carryover cooking, and how much rise you get in internal temp depends on the size of the chunk of meat and the temp you cook it at.

One of the most classic ways that restaurants do rib roast is to heat the oven to 500 degrees, toss the meat in for 30 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave the door shut. The meat is left in the oven for about 6 hours. This might sound crazy but it works. It's not how I do it, but it works.

The nice thing about a prime rib roast is that it's a whole muscle. The vast bulk of the bacteria are on the surface. Kill that with heat and you're pretty good unless you do something really stupid. The best way to do prime rib is at very low temp. You need high heat to get a good sear/crust, but the lower the temp the more evenly it will cook. If you take a cold hunk of meat and cook it in a 400 degree F oven until the middle is, say, 130 you will get a very, very done outside and a pretty rare inside. We call this a "bullseye" and it's not what most people call good eats.

I'd personally suggest a more traditional conservative method for your Xmas dinner. This isn't the meal you wanna risk screwing up. Save the Iron Chef stuff for another day.:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice. I will save the experimenting for some other time.

I once decided to try cooking a rib roast. It was a "standing rib roast" and when I opened the package, the bones were only tied on...
Yeah, tax, it's done on purpose so you would not have to whip out a jig saw after it's cooked before serving. ;)

Personally if I order a bone in roast I usually have it cut thru the bone, kind of like as if I were to cut into stakes. Then I can serve it like a cut up stake. But a lot of times butchers do cut bones of completely and then tie the meat and bones together. I wonder why?

Back
Top Bottom