"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #11
Head Chef

It's a waste of electricity to preheat in some cases. Lets all conserve people. To preheat is selfish...energy hogs!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Most things that I cook in the oven says "preheat". In what instance would you not do so? except maybe toast?

Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

MMMMM energy hogs. Those are so tasty, but only if cooked in a preheated oven
Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
Most things that I cook in the oven says "preheat". In what instance would you not do so? except maybe toast?
In a lot of those cases I find that preheating is not needed. Give us an example of some of the things you are cooking where the package says to preheat and I will tell you if I follow those instructions or not.

For instance, I made my daughter some fish sticks the other day. The package said to preheat, but I did not.

I do make sure the food is under the heating element though and not super far away from it so it gets a lot of direct heat.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
Master Chef

I have an electric oven & ALWAYS preheat it - whether baking or broiling. And I don't think the extra 3 to 10 minutes spent doing so makes anyone an "energy hog" (good grief!!) - just a good cook!! Rarely do you NOT see the phrase "preheat oven" or "preheated oven" in any recipe, & starting in a cold oven just increases your overall cooking time, sometimes adversely I would imagine.

When baking anything (& that includes anything that's frozen), I set the oven temp & my oven "beeps" when it's reached that temp, in just a few minutes. When broiling, I preheat the oven for 10 minutes so that the elements are super-hot to do what "broiling" is supposed to do - BROIL - not slowly dry out the exterior while the interior remains raw.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Rarely do you NOT see the phrase "preheat oven" or "preheated oven" in any recipe
Breezy, you more than anyone should know that a recipe is just a guide. Just because every recipe says to preheat does not mean that you absolutely must.

Again it all depends on what you are cooking. Somethings do require the oven to be up to temp first, but other things it really doesn't matter and does not increase cooking times at all (usually).
Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

GB - yes, I know full well that recipes are really just a guide, & I adapt them more to my liking than not. BUT - I don't feel that adapting a recipe has anything at all to do with whether or not one preheats their oven. Whether I change a recipe or not, I still preheat, & don't see why/how adapting a recipe has anything at all to do with that. You're talking about apples vs. oranges.

I think this is going to be one of those subjects where folks are going to just have to agree to disagree. The non-preheaters & the preheaters are never going to change their positions.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

All that I ask, Breezy, is that you give it a shot. I do not think this has to be one of those things were we have to agree to disagree. It is not something subjective like what type of apple is the best or something like that.

Just try it once. Take something from your freezer that says preheat and try cooking it without preheating. You may find that you are absolutely right and that it was much better when you did preheat, OR you may find that manufactures print that on the packaging more out of habit than anything else.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #19
Master Chef

Agreed GB.

While I will never not preheat my oven for anything that isn't frozen, the next time I make something that's frozen, I promise to not preheat, & will report back. In fact, I just made myself a sticky note & stuck it on my fridge to that effect.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Very cool Breezy and I will do the same thing, but in opposite.

That is why I love ths place so much. We are both going to try something new that we otherwise would not have. No matter what the outcome, we will have learned something.