Preheat electric ovens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All baking goods (except one of those dense cakes that says start in a cold oven) I do preheat. Many casseroles say preheat. But many of them I've found I can do mostly in the microwave and finish in the oven in just a few minutes and you can't tell the difference. It really depends on what I'm cooking, but most I do preheat. Many things I cook in the toaster oven rather than heat up the kitchen with the oven.

I preheat when I'm baking something like a cake/pie/bread [scratch stuff], but if I'm going to do something like refrigerator biscuits [commercial type] I don't. The main reason I preheat, when I do, is that you can never tell what temp my oven will preheat to. One day 350 will be 325, the next it'll be 400.

I do appreciate Michael's point that the frozen food companies expend millions of dollars to get one item on the shelves, and they have test kitchens that work to optimize the heating of the dish.

And their labs have banks of ovens.

Unfortunately, there are ovens, and then again there are ovens. Right now we have a Viking oven fueled with propane (would never buy another for home cooking). For two years of our early marriage we had a very old, inespensive gas oven. For the rest of the time, 22 years, our stoves were electric.

All of them behaved differently.

Can only imagine the food company labs fire up their stoves, probably electic since that is what most people cook with, in the morning and keep them humming until quitting time.

So, already being hot, they willl retain their heat longer and better, when opened and a frozen dish put in, than an oven rapidly brought to the proscribed temperature will.

When to toss in the frozen dish?

I don't think there is an answer to this question.

We are still learning to deal with our oven and would never put a cold or frozen dish in it at the beginning because we know our stove a bit.

But y'all are cooks and know what you are doing.

Sometimes make dishes for others, and we do not know what their stoves are like.

But we try to muddle through somehow.

It is your stove and your food, and do what you like and it is fine with us.

Take care and God bless.

vagriller said:
Are you my wife? I have the same disagreement with my wife. She thinks it's crucial to preheat the over all the way to the temp on the box when baking a frozen pizza. I don't put the pizza in cold, just when it is convenient. The over may be between 250-300.

lol that is our exact disagreement.

see i just hate when the middle comes out all doughy, somtimes it'll be liek hal;f my slice and i have to put it in the microwave for it to be tolerable.......he says it's because his oven is old and screwy, i like soft crust pizza but not when it's like yeasty tasting and icky.....the crust will cooked right, the cheese thats on it will be almost burning....>( grrr i just want my pizza to be yummy

GB said:
Why don't you do a test? Cook a couple of the same meals. Preheat for one and not for the other and see what you think.

i had the same idea, but we're mainly cook pizzas, the both of us can finish a digorno when we're bother hungry enough, which I usually am.

also he likes soft crust, i do too but idk if it's his oven like he says or what but the middle comes out all doughy, no matter if the crust is about to burn or not. i kind of wanted to try the directions for crisper crust to see if that would solve that. but you can't easily cut a frozen pizza in half.

Just tell me what to do with my digorno pizzas. please.

i should have been more specific, but so i could easily find my post back i bookmarked it and knew he would read it and didn't want it to seem like i dunno......

i do love how the first post is like
sausage lips....1 "cluelessguy:...0
cuz i know he read that one at least lol ^_^

GB said:
If I am just cooking a frozen meal (prepackaged stuff from the freezer isle in the supermarket) I never preheat.
Only Sandra Lee would consider that cooking.:LOL:

That said, some rising crust frozen pizzas require you to pre-heat the oven and some specifically tell you NOT to pre-heat the oven. Seeing I have a pizza stone, I always pre-heat, whether it says to or says not to, and adjust the cooking time accordingly.

Last edited:
Well, I did the test with 2 frozen pizzas. Each time they were baked on a pizza stone.

The first frozen pizza called for preheating and then cook for 12 minutes. So that worked.
The second frozen pizza took an hour to heat up and it wasn't as crispy as the preheated one. I was just hungry by then so I took it out. Even Mr Half Baked commented on it and I didn't mention the experiment.

I think I could cook casseroles w/o preheating, when the dinner time wasn't important but I think I'll stick with preheating.

I bet the results would have been different without the pizza stone. If the pizza what on the rack instead then the heat would have surrounded the pizza differently. The cold pizza stone probably sucked some of the heat away from the bottom of the pizza.

Howdy all. I absolutely pre-heat. I have two ovens - one electric and one is a 1920's woodfired treasure! Most of the cooking that I do is from scratch - very rarely will I heat anything from frozen. For me, preheating is essential. Putting freshly rolled pastry into a warm oven will cause it to 'melt' rather than cook, and getting the temperature right for roasting, a chicken for example is also crucial if you want the heat from the oven to seal the roast and keep it moist. Having said all that I can understand why someone might not preheat if they are heating frozen oven fries!

I always preheat my electric fanforced oven. Although I have heard it said you don't need to preheat fan forced ovens, I have not, in my experience, found that you get good results putting food in cold ovens, for the reasons thegrova stated. I cook in an oven because I want my food baked, or roasted. If I wanted it steamed I'd use the microwave or the steamer!

The FF companies call for preheating because every oven is different. Some heat up in 5 minutes and some in 20. However, once they are at temperature, they all behave more predictably. That predictability is why preheating is called for. They develop their recipes to work in a preheated oven for the sake of producing uniform results.

GB, you said you place the food under the heating element. Does that mean you are broiling? Oven elements for roasting/baking are typically on or under the floor of the oven. Since broiling is a direct heat method, I would guess preheating is less important to good results.

Well, about preheating I can definitely say that I do for some things, and not for others. Most frozen foods I don't worry about it, just add a couple of minutes to the recommended cooking time. I also don't bother for cut up chicken (i.e. thighs or drumsticks that I buy lots of when they are on sale). Whole chickens I usually "roast" on my Weber grill, and I always preheat that.

I rarely do any baked goods ( I do make bread occasionally), but when I do so, I always preheat, as the constant temperature is an absolute necessity for that. I also preheat for frozen pizza (usually DiGiorno's), I place it directly on the rack without a pan or sheet, and I also at least partially thaw it, then reduce the time I cook it.

When I do preheat, I do it just until it beeps at me, I think that any more than that is just a waste of electricity.

Last edited:
It would never occur to me to put frozen food in an un-preheated oven. I like to be sure that food is properly cooked and hot inside. None of you who do it have died of food poisoning (obviously), so I guess it must be safe but I'll stick to preheating.

The only things I'll put in when the oven is not quite up to temperature are vegetarian dishes that I'm making myself. Even then, by the time I'm done doing the preparation, the oven is usually good and hot.

I wouldn't bake cakes or anything with pastry in a non-preheated oven.

Sorry GB.

When I use the oven function on my microwave for things like frozen foods or bake to finish bread dough, I never pre-heat. The oven is pre-heated in say 3-4 minutes (175C) and I found that not pre-heating (and lowering the cooking times on the packages) cooks the ingredients more evenly and a lot faster. If I use my conventional electric oven (which takes about 10-15 mins to get to 180C) I always pre-heat.
I suppose it's basicly just a matter of getting a feel for the tools you're using :ermm:

Snoop Puss I would not bake cakes or pastry or anything like that in a non pre heated oven either. Like I said earlier, it depends on what I am making.

If I am heating a frozed chicken pot pie and it calls for the oven to be preheated and then cook the pie for 45 minutes then I skip the preheating. I promise no one would be able to tell the difference if we did a side by side comparison.

Now if I were roasting a chicken I would preheat.

Non-PreHeating Test

GB - I promised to test the non-preheating theory next time I had something frozen to cook, & I did.

Had a package of frozen baked clams that I've made before in a preheated oven. The instructions say to place in a preheated 450-degree oven for 25 minutes or until heated through. (I've made these before, & normally in a preheated oven they take 30 minutes.)

I placed them into a cold oven & set it for 450-degrees & the timer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes they were still cool in the center; still just "warm" after 35 minutes. They were hot through at 40 minutes.

So, to be perfectly honest, it took the same amount of time whether I preheated the oven for 10 minutes & put the frozen clams in, or if I stuck them into a cold oven & had to cook them for 10 minutes more for them to be heated through.

Now, of course, something like frozen fish sticks or other less dense frozen foods might have turned out differently. Next time I do those, I'll retest.:)

Back
Top Bottom