Prep for week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gossie

Sous Chef
I watch the Food Network a lot. And they talk about washing herbs and wrapping in towels to dry out. When I come home from grocery shopping, what do I wash (herbs, veggies, and fruits) and what do I leave as is? I just throw things in the fridge, but I'm gathering that washing some of this stuff makes it last a little longer in the fridge?

The leafy things seem to hold better if washed, IMHO. I wash my parsley and my lettuce, spin-dry carefully, then plunk into a clean plastic bag with a damp paper towel at the base. They don't grunge up as quickly, nor do they brown or yellow, AND they stay very crisp and lively ...

I seriously hadn't given it a thought till I watched Giada de Laurentis ('cuse me, not sure I spelled that correctly). Think I'll do that from now on, I throw away so much lettuce.

Is it just the greens you do? I've never washed anything till I plan on using it. I can't see washing citrus fruits. Think they would be ok. Tomatoes maybe, especially if you leave them on the kitchen table. :) Want it to look nice, don't you know (hehe).

Hmmm, just thought, I could do individual amts of lettuce for instance, and it would be ready for a small salad. You guys make me think about these things and make me more efficient (yea, right), well, I try. hehe

Back
Top Bottom