Preserved lemon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they may be quartered/etcetra; highly salted in a screw-on jar. frequently rotste your jar/jars. cinnamon may be blended in; this is nary of my preference, though many seem that they adore that. whole cloves also & that makes me kinda baffled. this being me, i avoid them seasonings, too, unless in my Mom's pies. the pith is incediously bitter; take, if ya own 1, a filet knive & [itch that. then trim/discard that pulp. bittly uck if so as to offer my views of this.....

I've yet to make them myself, but have been gifted with them, & the gist is lemons PARTIALLY quartered, as in leaving them intact at the stem end, & then heavily salted & packed in jars along with fresh lemon juice to cover. Again - that's just the GIST. Check out any number of online recipes for exact amounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had preserved lemons before. What do they taste like and how are they usually served? They kinda sound salty and bitter!

You'd be surprised - they're really not bitter at all. They're a component of lots of Middle Eastern poultry dishes & a few French.

In all the dishes I've come across, it's the rind that is used the most - the pulp is scraped off & discarded. Couldn't find the TNT preserved lemon chicken recipes I used with a brief search, but will say that they turned out well. The lemon flavor is definitely intensified by it's salt curing, so a little goes a long way.

You'd be surprised - they're really not bitter at all. They're a component of lots of Middle Eastern poultry dishes & a few French.

In all the dishes I've come across, it's the rind that is used the most - the pulp is scraped off & discarded. Couldn't find the TNT preserved lemon chicken recipes I used with a brief search, but will say that they turned out well. The lemon flavor is definitely intensified by it's salt curing, so a little goes a long way.

Thanks Breeze, I'll have to try some. Lemon does go well with chicken.

Preserved lemons are mostly a middle-Eastern item. Claudia Roden's newer revised book on Middle Eastern cooking has four methods for making them, all good. Preserving makes the rinds tender and soft so they can be cut up into lamb dishes. I keep a large glass jar of preserved lemons in the refrigerator. It always adds that extra unique taste.

Back
Top Bottom