Pressure cooker and water amount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
I am a bit confused about how much water I need in my pressure cooker when I make carrots and green beans.

I need to pressure cook them for 15 minutes (yes, they get very very soft..).

Now I use 1 cup water or broth.

Do I need to use more liquid if I pressure a larger amount of veggies and less liquid when I pressure a smaller amount?

Sometimes when I boil the veggies they get very soft but sometimes they don't. Can it be because I sometimes pressure 2 carrots and 1/2 lbs, and other times 5 carrots and 1 lbs green beans??

I am very new into pressure cooking and have just bought a tefal pressure control plus 6 L.

Your water amount it just right. I think the problem is with cooking time. The larger batch, let it go another 5 minutes. I hope this helps.

The liquid is for creating the steam in the pressure cooker. For most recipes this will be water. The minimum amount of water for a jiggle top pressure cooker is 1 cup, and for the newer valve type it is 1/2 cup. This amount of water is usually sufficient for approximately 20 minutes of cooking time.

Why would you pressure cook veggies that require such a limited cooking time even if steamed or boiled? I don't like mushy veggies and would steam for about 8 minutes, boil or 2 or 3.

Agree. The amount of water is just right, since all we want to do is to create steam in there and stop food from burning due to the hot base.

I suggest dicing your veggies into consistent sizes and then measuring cooking time. The consistent size will ensure all of them cook in roughly the same time. You'll also want to put vegetable with similar texture/cooking time requirement into the cooker together, so they're all done just right and same as the others.

HTH

Sid

Your water amount it just right. I think the problem is with cooking time. The larger batch, let it go another 5 minutes. I hope this helps.

Why would you pressure cook veggies that require such a limited cooking time even if steamed or boiled? I don't like mushy veggies and would steam for about 8 minutes, boil or 2 or 3.

I did not like mushe veggies either but I don't have an choice. I have inflammation in my gut and don't produce enough enzymes to break down fat and carbs.
I can only eat lean meat, egg white, carrots/green beans/butternut squash that is boiled in a very long time so they get very soft. If I don't I get sick.

Back
Top Bottom