Pretzel Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG...My friend just dropped off a loaf of Pretzel bread from the farmers market since she knew I was talking about making pretzel/buns/rolls for a brat burger thing I've been making. I take the bratwurst out of the casing and form into patties served with kraut, Koops deli mustard, swiss cheese, etc. The Pretzel bread was amazing. I have researched the topic and it seems like the pro's all use Lye vs. baking soda. Apparently, the Germans insist that Lye is vital to give the pretzels their slightly crunchy exterior with the soft inside. I'm not afraid of using a weak solution of Lye so I'll report back when I make these. I believe using Malt extract dried or syrup is truly authentic as well, vs. using brown sugar. Any thoughts? I'm just so inspired after eating this bread. I just put proscuitto on it with mustard. Unreal. BTW...my spelling is horrible. See ya' Jack

I realize this thread is older but pretzel bread was what I was looking for. Jack if you are around, did you ever make your bread? I adore pretzel bread and want to try it soon!

Back
Top Bottom