Pretzel Puzzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyperion

Senior Cook
This was my first time making pretzel at home. I used alton brown's recipe, but I took the liberty to knead the dough longer and did an overnight rising.

The result was that my dough was too elastic, after I shape it into pretzel shape it shrank back and after dipping and baking, it turned into a cool looking bagel... I suppose that if I didn't knead it that much it wouldn't shrink back, but I don't know.. I need the texture in the pretzel that resulted from my 40 minute hand kneading and I wouldn't go anywhere without this texture. The pretzel itself tasted great, makes me want to eat more and more.

Is there any certain method of shaping the pretzel that help keeping it from shrinking back?

slqy9u.jpg

Did you let the dough sit? I know that if you use store-bought pizza dough, if you don't let it come up to room temperature, when you roll it, it will "bounce" back and not stay pulled.

But, they still look yummy. Can you post the link to Alton Brown's recipe?

Did you let the dough sit? I know that if you use store-bought pizza dough, if you don't let it come up to room temperature, when you roll it, it will "bounce" back and not stay pulled.

But, they still look yummy. Can you post the link to Alton Brown's recipe?
here
Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

I never simply follow his recipe though, I watch his show and note down the recipe from the show. It's pretty much the same as what he posts on the website but the show tells you the techniques.

do you mean letting the dough set before rolling into long tube, or after rolling into long tube and before "pretzeling" it?

Before rolling it.
Yea I think AB did mention it in his pizza show and if I don't let it rest long enough it'll tend to shrink back. I did let it rest for half hour or so, guess I might need longer. I'll also make the tube longer and let it rest again before twisting

Yea I think AB did mention it in his pizza show and if I don't let it rest long enough it'll tend to shrink back. I did let it rest for half hour or so, guess I might need longer. I'll also make the tube longer and let it rest again before twisting

I'm sure this is the issue. I fit shrinks, let it rest longer.

Also temperature, I find that in the winter my kitchen is colder and so the dough doesn't warm up as much as in the summer and I notice I have the shrinking problem more in the winter even if I let it rest a long time.

Kudos to you for giving it a go! I would probably bake it a little less time and brush it with egg to shine it up a bit but it looks delish!

do you guys garnish the pretzel on both sides or just one side like bagel? I noticed that my almonds burned on the other side where it touches the pan...

don't need it for so long..that is seriously unnecessary on so many levels and could be a great deal of the issue.

I know the episode you are talking about, and I do know that he says if the dough bounces back to let it sit a few minutes.

i've made pretzels a great deal of times and never had them do that to me though.
lastly, you might want to think about following a recipe fully before going and changing it up...having a better understanding of the recipe, the technique and the science will allow you to truly make changes in the right place.

don't need it for so long..that is seriously unnecessary on so many levels and could be a great deal of the issue.

I know the episode you are talking about, and I do know that he says if the dough bounces back to let it sit a few minutes.

i've made pretzels a great deal of times and never had them do that to me though.
lastly, you might want to think about following a recipe fully before going and changing it up...having a better understanding of the recipe, the technique and the science will allow you to truly make changes in the right place.
Thanks. He always uses bread machine so I don't know how long I should knead.

Thanks. He always uses bread machine so I don't know how long I should knead.

until smooth

is pretty much the basis for all kneading unless other wise noted
I've never used a mixture with any of my dough simply because it's hard on the gears..all my dough is done by hand and when I do pretzels if I had to say how long it is...max of ten to 15 minutes. basically I think what happened is you had way to much gluten formed up basically made yourself a giant dough spring

until smooth

is pretty much the basis for all kneading unless other wise noted
I've never used a mixture with any of my dough simply because it's hard on the gears..all my dough is done by hand and when I do pretzels if I had to say how long it is...max of ten to 15 minutes. basically I think what happened is you had way to much gluten formed up basically made yourself a giant dough spring
Thanks, I'll try that some time

Back
Top Bottom