"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think of chicken as expensive. I can get boneless chunks of beef or pork for the same price per lb as whole chicken. Yes, I want the bones for stock, but I don't like to pay as much for bones as for boneless meat.
I get whole chickens cheap (cheep?) at maybe 77-cents on a good day. But parts, especially boneless parts, are very high. They charge a LOT for deboning.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #42
Head Chef

I work with a rancher, and he says on the hoof prices are higher than he has ever seen in his 40 years of raising cattle. A lot of it can be blamed on the Texas drought--those guys sold off their cattle, so there is a general shortage--but lots of the hike can be blamed on high gas prices. If oil prices are high, transport is more expensive, so feed is more expensive, and fertilizer has gone sky-high, too. You don't think of cattle ranchers using fertilizers, but they fertilize pastures and hayfields every year, for good production.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #43
Head Chef

And you know, we're going to have a huge hay crop this year, with the way it's been raining. But I don't know how well the cattle ranches can be restocked with the prices so high. So, with high calf prices, shortages of calves, and high fuel, it will take more than cheap hay to get supplies up and prices down. Probably next winter, anyway.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #44
Executive Chef

I'll tell you this much, if it goes much higher, I will simply stop eating it. Maybe a steak every couple of months but that's it. They can shove it. There is no reason they can't breed more cattle. Its all a matter of politics, economics and greed, as far as I am concerned. They better be careful, if they price it too high, people will stop depending on it for their weekly nutrition and find other alternatives, they may never go back to it.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #45
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I'll tell you this much, if it goes much higher, I will simply stop eating it. Maybe a steak every couple of months but that's it.
We've cut back our beef consumption to once a week. For the last couple years, we've been buying 1/8 cow from a local farmer and freezing it. It's a 60 lb box of mixed cuts. About 20 lbs is burger. The rest is steaks, roasts, short ribs, soup bones, heart, liver, and tongue. We try to make it last a year.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #46
Master Chef

I have pretty much stopped the weekly automatic purchase of beef and most other meats. I am certainly not a vegetarian but, I have been trying to only buy things that have a high WOW factor for me, as a treat every few weeks. The purchases I do make are from local producers at the farmers market or small old fashioned butcher shops near my home. I still buy things that are not considered healthy such as bacon, kielbasa etc.. but at least I feel comfortable about how it is being made. My reasons for changing are mostly because of the "yuck" factor with all the talk of pink slime and gross processing techniques used for supermarket meat. The price increase is kind of the last straw. Like Rock pointed out high prices destroy demand. So for now it is back to my hippy days with whole grains, beans and fresh produce.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
I have pretty much stopped the weekly automatic purchase of beef and most other meats. I am certainly not a vegetarian but, I have been trying to only buy things that have a high WOW factor for me, as a treat every few weeks. The purchases I do make are from local producers at the farmers market or small old fashioned butcher shops near my home. I still buy things that are not considered healthy such as bacon, kielbasa etc.. but at least I feel comfortable about how it is being made. My reasons for changing are mostly because of the "yuck" factor with all the talk of pink slime and gross processing techniques used for supermarket meat. The price increase is kind of the last straw. Like Rock pointed out high prices destroy demand. So for now it is back to my hippy days with whole grains, beans and fresh produce.
"Whole grains, beans, & fresh produce." BINGO! Or should I say BEAN GO. That's our intended route too. A good strategy & probably a little healthier, & lighter on the wallet.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
"Whole grains, beans, & fresh produce." BINGO! Or should I say BEAN GO. That's our intended route too. A good strategy & probably a little healthier, & lighter on the wallet.
I have been eating less and less beef as the years go by. I can feel how hard my system has to work to process it. I do like it, but for three reasons, price, quality(not big on the whole commercial farming idea), and my aging digestive system, I can probably do without.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #49
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I have been eating less and less beef as the years go by. I can feel how hard my system has to work to process it. I do like it, but for three reasons, price, quality(not big on the whole commercial farming idea), and my aging digestive system, I can probably do without.
I am the same way. We eat steak maybe once a month and 2 usually feeds 4 of us. If we eat beef 2 nights in a row we all have issues and
don't feel that great. We eat chicken 3-4 nights a week and try to eat fish at least once.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
We've cut back our beef consumption to once a week. For the last couple years, we've been buying 1/8 cow from a local farmer and freezing it. It's a 60 lb box of mixed cuts. About 20 lbs is burger. The rest is steaks, roasts, short ribs, soup bones, heart, liver, and tongue. We try to make it last a year.
Wow, how big is your family.

Tags
beef