"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Prime Rib

Cooking one in the morning with bone about 8lbs. Wondering what of these recipes is the best and also why covering the prime rib and cooking it in a salt crust works.(what is the purpose of the salt layer). Is slow roasting better or is there really no big difference.
Thanks Tim

Garlic Prime Rib - All Recipes
Kosher Salt Encrusted Prime Rib Roast - All Recipes

Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't encrust my prime rib, I just use a simple Julia Child way.I rub the meat lightly with evoo and place it fat up in my roasting pan, start it off in a 400 oven for 12 min, then lower the heat to 325 and cook to a med donenes. My group is NOT fond of med rare although I love it..We don't need the salt for me it's a waste..I'm sure others will give you the way they cook their roast..
kadesma

Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

As Kades alluded to, there are a hundred and one ways to cook a standing rib roast. Most people seem to prefer there Standing Rib Roast cooked rare to medium rare.

As this is a rib roast, it's fairly tender to begin with and so doesn't require low and slow cooking techniques. This roast can be cooked on a covered grill, at 500 degree F. if you like, or in a 450' oven. There are those who place the roast into a 450' oven, cook for ten to fifteen minutes and turn the oven off. They let the roast cook for the time that the oven cools. And there are those who place the roast in a 300' oven, cook until a meat thermometer reads about 120', and then bost the temperature to 425 to brown the outside.

The key to this roast is properly seasoning it, making sure that there is a bit of fat on top to drip down, or rub all over with oil before putting it in the oven. I like to start my roast in a hot oven, 450', and cook for about 15 minutes. I then turn the oven to 275 and continue roasting until the meat thermometer reads 125'. I pull it and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. I season liberally with salt, and sprinkle on a bit of black pepper. This gives me a well browned outer surface, and medium well done meat on the outside. As I slice into the meat,getting closer to the center with each cut, the roast becomes more rare. In this fashion, I get to provide something for ever taste.

My favorite way to do this roast is on a covered-kettle grill (Weber) over a divided bed of coals. I get the charcoal screaming hot. While the charcoal is heating, , I prep the meat by rubbing it all over with oil, and salting all the way around. I.place the meat over a drip pan and cover. I close the lid-vent by half and cook until the meat thermometer reads 125. Again, remove the roast and let it rest for 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite sides and condiments.

Seeeeya' Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post

The key to this roast is properly seasoning it, making sure that there is a bit of fat on top to drip down, or rub all over with oil before putting it in the oven. I like to start my roast in a hot oven, 450', and cook for about 15 minutes. I then turn the oven to 275 and continue roasting until the meat thermometer reads 125'. I pull it and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving. I season liberally with salt, and sprinkle on a bit of black pepper. This gives me a well browned outer surface, and medium well done meat on the outside. As I slice into the meat,getting closer to the center with each cut, the roast becomes more rare. In this fashion, I get to provide something for ever taste.
Hi Goodweed,

I'd like to try this method. Can I use above oven temps and cooking times for a 6 pounder? And would this work better with bone-in or without?

Thanks!

Chopstix
Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Head Chef

And Goodweed, would that particular method I cited work better for bone-in or without bone? TIA!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

Believe it or not, the bone adds flavor and enhances the juicy texture of meat, for whatever reason. Plus, you get the added bonus of removing the bone and having an exceptional flavor element for your next soup. And yes, the method will work with a 6 lb roast.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Head Chef

Thaaaaaanks Goodweed :-)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Master Chef

No Peeky Roast Beefy has always worked for me with PERFECT results...
4 hours | 1 min prep
SERVES 6
· 1 (5 lb) standing rib roast
· salt
· pepper
· garlic salt
1. At least 3-4 hours before serving, place ROOM TEMPERATURE roast in a shallow pan, fat side up, resting on bones on a rack, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic salt LOTS.
2. Place in preheated 375F oven FOR EXACTLY 45 minutes.
3. Do not add water.
4. Do not cover.
5. Do not baste.
6. Turn oven off.
7. Leave roast in oven with door closed.
8. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR (my mother-in-law would tape it shut!!!). Those guests think they know everything!! Humph!!
9. Turn oven on again, at 375F for another 45 minutes before serving.
10. Remove from oven.
11. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
12. Note: For a roast 10-12 pounds, leave in oven 60 minutes at the beginning and 60-90 minutes at the end for medium rare.
Honest to gawd, this is a never fail, PERFECT standing rib roast.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
8. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR (my mother-in-law would tape it shut!!!). Those guests think they know everything!! Humph!!
9. Turn oven on again, at 375F for another 45 minutes before serving.
Hi Kayelle,

I seem to be missing something here. You say that after the first cooking of 45min, the oven should be turned off. How long should the roast be left in the oven that's been turned off before turning it on again?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Master Chef

Hi Chopstix.!

I know it sounds unbelievable but it does not matter how long the roast holds in the oven, as long as the door is never opened until it's ready to serve. Hope this helps.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote