"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
That is interesting, Steve. I didn't know that. Maybe what happens in Vegas DOES stay in Vegas.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
I spent the evening Tuesday reading this looonnnnggggg post with a few hundred questions and answers about cooking prime rib/standing rib roast so I wouldn't mess up my first one. They said to reheat it, put a slice in a plastic bag in a saucepan of hot but not boiling water and let it heat to the desired temperature. Like sous vide, it won't overcook.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #23
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Interesting, Steve, how do they manage not to overcook? And what if person doesn't like the sauce?
The sauce, which is more like a broth, doesn't add much flavor on its own. And it's not boiling when they add the beef - really just kept on a warming burner, so the meat is gently heated through, but not cooked.

By the way, it's interesting to note that there are restaurants that use a similar technique with pasta. It's partly cooked ahead of time and all they really do is submerge it into boiling water for a few minutes to finish the cooking.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #24
Head Chef
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Interesting, Steve, how do they manage not to overcook? And what if person doesn't like the sauce?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
I don't think I've ever had prime rib in a restaurant where it wasn't served with au jus. I don't quite understand why you would question it. It is often recommended in "how to" blogs to use this method when you have just one or two guests who like the roast more well done than the rest do. Cook it to the "proper" doneness for the rest, then just do a slice for each those others in the au jus.

For the restaurant - Since "normal" is medium rare, doing the entire cut rare gives the leeway to reheat it in the juice to medium rare and serve a perfect cut every time, as well as to be able to make it more done if the occasional customer wants it done incorrectly.

I've known a couple of places which didn't give a choice. The chef cooked steaks medium rare because that is the proper way to do it, and if you didn't like your beef done that way, then you could order the chicken. I've also been in restaurants where there was no salt and pepper on the table. The food was properly seasoned while cooking, so nothing additional was needed. The dishes were intended to taste a certain way and no amateur alterations were allowed. As a person who usually adds salt or pepper to many foods, I had no problem eating in such places, because the food WAS properly seasoned. That was actually a pleasant change from the typical under-seasoned food that is so often served.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #25
Master Chef
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I don't think I've ever had prime rib in a restaurant where it wasn't served with au jus. I don't quite understand why you would question.

Did you mean without? I am not big beef fan and rarely if ever order it and then I am very particular how it is done and served. Also I do not like with anything i.e. Au jus. That is why I was asking, not questioning.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
I cooked a roast using this method last night. It is perfect (except for those who want it well-done). Slices are going on the 3rd round of smorgasbord this afternoon.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote