"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I'm fairly certain the method is to preheat the oven to 500F, put roast into oven and roast five minutes at 500F. Then reduce temperature to 200F, and continue to roast 1 hour per pound.
So, a 5 pound roast would take 5 hours and 5 minutes.
I actually was thinking this method.
Food Wishes Video Recipes: Apparently Size Doesn’t Matter for Prime Rib "Method X"

Your method sounds good though. Sear and slow cook is what it sounds like.
Thanks for the info, Bones! I'll have to give that a try!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Wine Guy

It's surprising how much consternation you hear from people when it comes to cooking a rib roast. The fact of the matter is that it's one of the easiest roasts to make. The most difficult part about making one is that it essentially requires two cooking methods: one to cook the outside and another for the inside.

Cooking the inside couldn't be simpler. You simply pop a thermometer in and cook it slowly until it's done to your liking.

As far as cooking the outside, you have a number of options with which to accomplish that. You can pan sear it either before or after roasting (I like the after method myself), or you can do the trick where you roast it at a high temperature (500F or more) for a period of time in order to sear the outside before lowering the oven temp to cook the inside to the desired temperature. You can also start it on a hot grill to get some smoke flavor before moving it over to the cooler side of the grill to finish it. Rib roast cooked this way is wonderful.

However, regardless of which method is used, it would be a crime to cook it beyond a point where the meat is still pink. In my opinion, of course.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I think next time I do a rib roast I am going to sous vide it and then sear, likely in a screaming hot oven.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Aaack! No!!! No slow cooker or dutch oven for a rib roast. That roast should be cooked uncovered in a roasting pan to medium rare, either sear first then cook normally to 125F internal, or cook to 120F and sear at 500F for about 10 minutes after reaching internal temp. After removing from oven, allow to rest for at least 15 minutes and up to 1/2 hour before carving. Internal temperature will continue to rise while resting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Ohh, don't use a pot of any kind!
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
I actually was thinking this method.
Food Wishes Video Recipes: Apparently Size Doesnt Matter for Prime Rib "Method X"

Your method sounds good though. Sear and slow cook is what it sounds like.
Thanks for the info, Bones! I'll have to give that a try!
Al. Another forum member "Craig", posted this method some time ago. I have yet to try it myself.
My problem is my wife. She does not like rare or even medium rare.
Since its just us two here, my go to beef is steak. This way we can both have it cooked the way we like.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My problem is my wife. She does not like rare or even medium rare.
Since its just us two here, my go to beef is steak. This way we can both have it cooked the way we like.
Here's a solution for you RB. Make your a jus in a large skillet and put your wife's slab o beef into it to finish cooking for her. You both will end up with beef the way you like, and the a jus will benefit.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
Master Chef

This makes excellent Au Jus, by the way.....
https://jet.com/product/Johnnys-Fren...705c4c3d9ee0e7

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Here's a solution for you RB. Make your a jus in a large skillet and put your wife's slab o beef into it to finish cooking for her. You both will end up with beef the way you like, and the a jus will benefit.
Thanks Kayelle. That's sort of what I do now.
You might know how thick Costco steaks are cut. Way to big for one person. So I sear, then roast off the 2-3" thick, whole steak in the oven to rare.
Then I let it rest.
Then when I slice up the steak, I put her slices back onto the fry pan, back into the oven and get them colored. Since its all in her head, if she does not see any red all is well.
Most of the time she is actually eating it medium.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Ohh, don't use a pot of any kind!

This is my favorite never fail method, and I'll be doing another one for Easter.

That roast looks perfect, Kayelle. Are you having dinner guests? Would you like company from Nova Scotia? I just made some horse radish...

Tags
oven, roast