Prime Rib Oven Roast (Cap Off)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynnkath

Assistant Cook
What's the best way to cook one? I do love my slow cooker but also love my dutch oven (cast iron)... Anyone have any tips?

I have tried the 500* for 5 min/# and leave in oven for 2 hours. Was good.

My favorite is slow cooking. I prefer the smoker, but in the oven I like to go at 225 until it hits the temp you want. 120-130 or so.

What's the best way to cook one? I do love my slow cooker but also love my dutch oven (cast iron)... Anyone have any tips?

I agree with GG. It's an oven roast, not a pot roast so skip the dutch oven and slow cooker and roast it.

Hey Garlic! I like that idea, slow cooking then sear. I've had great success with steaks doing that. I just use a very hot cast iron pan to sear it for the crust.

Great link! Thanks!

You're welcome :) I've done our Christmas prime rib that way for the last two years and it works perfectly :yum:

I have tried the 500* for 5 min/# and leave in oven for 2 hours. Was good.
My favorite is slow cooking. I prefer the smoker, but in the oven I like to go at 225 until it hits the temp you want. 120-130 or so.

I'm fairly certain the method is to preheat the oven to 500F, put roast into oven and roast five minutes at 500F. Then reduce temperature to 200F, and continue to roast 1 hour per pound.
So, a 5 pound roast would take 5 hours and 5 minutes.

Aaack! No!!! No slow cooker or dutch oven for a rib roast. That roast should be cooked uncovered in a roasting pan to medium rare, either sear first then cook normally to 125°F internal, or cook to 120°F and sear at 500°F for about 10 minutes after reaching internal temp. After removing from oven, allow to rest for at least 15 minutes and up to 1/2 hour before carving. Internal temperature will continue to rise while resting.

My favorite standing rib roast is done (drum roll please), on the Webber kettle, between two beds of charcoal, no smoking wood, and a drip pan 1/4 filled with water directly under the roast. Light the fire, let it get hot, turn the vents to half-open to control the heat, place the roast on the barbecue, cover, and use a meat temperature probe to let you know when the meat is at 125' F in the middle. Remove to a platter, make au jus from the drip pan contents, and let the roast rest for 15 minutes before carving.

I have made standing rib roasts in the oven using the reverse sear method, the hot, then oven off method. They both came out wonderful. But fire gives the meat a great flavor.

There is also a method where the roast is encased in a layer of coarse salt, and roasted, with the salt casing both seasoning, and sealing the roast. I've not tried it, but have heard that it provides great results as well.

My advise, use the method that best suits your cooking equipment. But never, ever put it covered in a slow cooker, or dutch oven, or any covered cooking vessel (except barbecue grill).

And the article is correct, searing doesn't seal in anything. It merely browns the meat, adding to the flavor of the finished roast.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain the method is to preheat the oven to 500F, put roast into oven and roast five minutes at 500F. Then reduce temperature to 200F, and continue to roast 1 hour per pound.
So, a 5 pound roast would take 5 hours and 5 minutes.

I actually was thinking this method.
Food Wishes Video Recipes: Apparently Size Doesn’t Matter for Prime Rib "Method X"

Your method sounds good though. Sear and slow cook is what it sounds like.
Thanks for the info, Bones! I'll have to give that a try!

It's surprising how much consternation you hear from people when it comes to cooking a rib roast. The fact of the matter is that it's one of the easiest roasts to make. The most difficult part about making one is that it essentially requires two cooking methods: one to cook the outside and another for the inside.

Cooking the inside couldn't be simpler. You simply pop a thermometer in and cook it slowly until it's done to your liking.

As far as cooking the outside, you have a number of options with which to accomplish that. You can pan sear it either before or after roasting (I like the after method myself), or you can do the trick where you roast it at a high temperature (500F or more) for a period of time in order to sear the outside before lowering the oven temp to cook the inside to the desired temperature. You can also start it on a hot grill to get some smoke flavor before moving it over to the cooler side of the grill to finish it. Rib roast cooked this way is wonderful.

However, regardless of which method is used, it would be a crime to cook it beyond a point where the meat is still pink. In my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I think next time I do a rib roast I am going to sous vide it and then sear, likely in a screaming hot oven.

Aaack! No!!! No slow cooker or dutch oven for a rib roast. That roast should be cooked uncovered in a roasting pan to medium rare, either sear first then cook normally to 125°F internal, or cook to 120°F and sear at 500°F for about 10 minutes after reaching internal temp. After removing from oven, allow to rest for at least 15 minutes and up to 1/2 hour before carving. Internal temperature will continue to rise while resting.

Ohh, don't use a pot of any kind!

Agree.

I actually was thinking this method.
Food Wishes Video Recipes: Apparently Size Doesn’t Matter for Prime Rib "Method X"

Your method sounds good though. Sear and slow cook is what it sounds like.
Thanks for the info, Bones! I'll have to give that a try!

Al. Another forum member "Craig", posted this method some time ago. I have yet to try it myself.
My problem is my wife. She does not like rare or even medium rare.
Since its just us two here, my go to beef is steak. This way we can both have it cooked the way we like.

My problem is my wife. She does not like rare or even medium rare.
Since its just us two here, my go to beef is steak. This way we can both have it cooked the way we like.

Here's a solution for you RB. Make your a jus in a large skillet and put your wife's slab o beef into it to finish cooking for her. You both will end up with beef the way you like, and the a jus will benefit. :chef:

Last edited:
Here's a solution for you RB. Make your a jus in a large skillet and put your wife's slab o beef into it to finish cooking for her. You both will end up with beef the way you like, and the a jus will benefit. :chef:

Thanks Kayelle. That's sort of what I do now.
You might know how thick Costco steaks are cut. Way to big for one person. So I sear, then roast off the 2-3" thick, whole steak in the oven to rare.
Then I let it rest.
Then when I slice up the steak, I put her slices back onto the fry pan, back into the oven and get them colored. Since its all in her head, if she does not see any red all is well.
Most of the time she is actually eating it medium.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom