"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Prime Rib Oven Roast (Cap Off)

What's the best way to cook one? I do love my slow cooker but also love my dutch oven (cast iron)... Anyone have any tips?

L.R. Knost
lynnkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have tried the 500* for 5 min/# and leave in oven for 2 hours. Was good.

My favorite is slow cooking. I prefer the smoker, but in the oven I like to go at 225 until it hits the temp you want. 120-130 or so.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

This is the best way to cook a prime ri: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/12/s...prime-rib.html

Don't slow cook or braise it. It's not a pot roast.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This is the best way to cook a prime ri: Step-by-Step: How to Roast a Perfect Prime Rib Using the Reverse Sear Method | Serious Eats

Don't slow cook or braise it. It's not a pot roast.
Hey Garlic! I like that idea, slow cooking then sear. I've had great success with steaks doing that. I just use a very hot cast iron pan to sear it for the crust.

Great link! Thanks!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnkath View Post
What's the best way to cook one? I do love my slow cooker but also love my dutch oven (cast iron)... Anyone have any tips?
I agree with GG. It's an oven roast, not a pot roast so skip the dutch oven and slow cooker and roast it.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
Hey Garlic! I like that idea, slow cooking then sear. I've had great success with steaks doing that. I just use a very hot cast iron pan to sear it for the crust.

Great link! Thanks!
You're welcome I've done our Christmas prime rib that way for the last two years and it works perfectly
Old 03-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
I have tried the 500* for 5 min/# and leave in oven for 2 hours. Was good.
My favorite is slow cooking. I prefer the smoker, but in the oven I like to go at 225 until it hits the temp you want. 120-130 or so.
I'm fairly certain the method is to preheat the oven to 500F, put roast into oven and roast five minutes at 500F. Then reduce temperature to 200F, and continue to roast 1 hour per pound.
So, a 5 pound roast would take 5 hours and 5 minutes.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnkath View Post
Aaack! No!!! No slow cooker or dutch oven for a rib roast. That roast should be cooked uncovered in a roasting pan to medium rare, either sear first then cook normally to 125F internal, or cook to 120F and sear at 500F for about 10 minutes after reaching internal temp. After removing from oven, allow to rest for at least 15 minutes and up to 1/2 hour before carving. Internal temperature will continue to rise while resting.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
Master Chef

My favorite standing rib roast is done (drum roll please), on the Webber kettle, between two beds of charcoal, no smoking wood, and a drip pan 1/4 filled with water directly under the roast. Light the fire, let it get hot, turn the vents to half-open to control the heat, place the roast on the barbecue, cover, and use a meat temperature probe to let you know when the meat is at 125' F in the middle. Remove to a platter, make au jus from the drip pan contents, and let the roast rest for 15 minutes before carving.

I have made standing rib roasts in the oven using the reverse sear method, the hot, then oven off method. They both came out wonderful. But fire gives the meat a great flavor.

There is also a method where the roast is encased in a layer of coarse salt, and roasted, with the salt casing both seasoning, and sealing the roast. I've not tried it, but have heard that it provides great results as well.

My advise, use the method that best suits your cooking equipment. But never, ever put it covered in a slow cooker, or dutch oven, or any covered cooking vessel (except barbecue grill).

And the article is correct, searing doesn't seal in anything. It merely browns the meat, adding to the flavor of the finished roast.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

Ohh, don't use a pot of any kind!

This is my favorite never fail method, and I'll be doing another one for Easter.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, roast