"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Prime Rib Roast

Hi,

I made a mistake yesterday when my wife sent me to get an 11-12 lb prime rib roast. The butcher said it's not "sold by the pound", and asked how many ribs I wanted, so I said 4-5 ribs. I didn't really look at the weight of it when the butcher gave it to me, as it looked big enough, but it was only 8 lbs. So, to please my wife.... I went back and got another 4 lb roast that was just in the counter. Now my wife says they are not the same size, as one does look a little fatter than the other.

The question I have is, does she put them both in the oven at the same time? In other words, will one cook faster than the other because of the size difference, even though they are the same cut of meat? That is what her main concern is.
Also, what internal (thermometer) temp would the roast be for medium well?

I hope someone can help us (other than saying I shouldn't be doing the shopping!)

Thanks,
Bill

__________________

__________________
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Hi,

I made a mistake yesterday when my wife sent me to get an 11-12 lb prime rib roast. The butcher said it's not "sold by the pound", and asked how many ribs I wanted, so I said 4-5 ribs. I didn't really look at the weight of it when the butcher gave it to me, as it looked big enough, but it was only 8 lbs. So, to please my wife.... I went back and got another 4 lb roast that was just in the counter. Now my wife says they are not the same size, as one does look a little fatter than the other.

The question I have is, does she put them both in the oven at the same time? In other words, will one cook faster than the other because of the size difference, even though they are the same cut of meat? That is what her main concern is.
Also, what internal (thermometer) temp would the roast be for medium well?

I hope someone can help us (other than saying I shouldn't be doing the shopping!)

Thanks,
Bill
I'll be cooking an 11 lb either today or for dinner tomorrow.

It might not look the same. That could be because of the fat cap. Trim some off if you want. I like a good one for the Yorkshire pudding.

She can cook them at the same time and temp. I'd recommend using 2 thermometers though. One in each. Same pan.

Here you go..

Cooking temps & Cooking times approx:
Rare 140. 23-25
Medium rare 145. 24-28
Medium 160 degrees. 27-30
Medium Well 165 degrees. 28-34
Well done 170. 32-35

When the roast is done let it rest 15 minutes. Remove it to a warm platter.

You can always cut one up into Rib Eye steaks.. You did just fine :)

Happy Holidays..
Munky.
__________________

__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
.... .. You did just fine :)

Happy Holidays..
Munky.
Thank you Munky. I hope yours turns out well too!

The "bigger" one does look like it has more fat on it, as the smaller one looks leaner, so i think you are correct about the fat cap.

Thanks for the cooking temps. Does the "28-34" mean 28-34 minutes a pound?
And if you don't mind... what temp do you put the oven on for?

Thanks for being on at Christmas eve to helpl us!

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Bill
__________________
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Thanks for being on at Christmas eve to helpl us!

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Bill
Where else would we be, in between playing with our own food?

Welcome to DC, Bill!

Merry Christmas!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
That's right.. :)

I had just typed up my recipe for a friend of mine who is making her first Prime Rib dinner today. and sent it to her. I'll post it here..

Meat thermometer
3-4 Rib roast ( Standing Rib Roast )
Salt & fresh ground pepper

Yorkshire Pudding. Can be made ahead of time. Keep it covered and at room temp until ready to use.

2eggs
1 Cup of milk
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
1 Cup of flour


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees

Season all sides with salt and pepper
Place it in a shallow baking pan. Insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast.
Making sure that it's not touching a bone.

Cooking temps & Cooking times approx:
Rare 140. 23-25
Medium rare 145. 24-28
Medium 160 degrees. 27-30
Medium Well 165 degrees. 28-34
Well done 170. 32-35

When the roast is done let it rest 15 minutes. Remove it to a warm platter.

In a medium sized bowl. Beat in the eggs until they are foamy. Beat the milk and salt, gradually beat in the flour. Until the batter is smooth.

When the roast is done loosen the bits from the bottom of the roasting pan.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place the the pan with the drippings back into the oven for 5 minutes.
Carefully pour the batter into the hot pan. Spread it around evenly to the edges. Place it back into the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Loosen the cooked pudding. Cut and serve warm.

She's a young mom. So I suggested the one pan method for her. Muffin pans work as well ( for the pudding )

Hope this helps you :)

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
IMO...anything past 140* and rested for 10 minutes...You may as well call the hounds! While it's resting it will continue to cook to at least 145* which will give you some pink (not rare) in the center.

Have Fun, Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Hi,

I made a mistake yesterday when my wife sent me to get an 11-12 lb prime rib roast. The butcher said it's not "sold by the pound", and asked how many ribs I wanted, so I said 4-5 ribs. I didn't really look at the weight of it when the butcher gave it to me, as it looked big enough, but it was only 8 lbs. So, to please my wife.... I went back and got another 4 lb roast that was just in the counter. Now my wife says they are not the same size, as one does look a little fatter than the other.

The question I have is, does she put them both in the oven at the same time? In other words, will one cook faster than the other because of the size difference, even though they are the same cut of meat? That is what her main concern is.
Also, what internal (thermometer) temp would the roast be for medium well?

I hope someone can help us (other than saying I shouldn't be doing the shopping!)

Thanks,
Bill
I'd cut the larger roast to the same sizes as the smaller one.

Or you could serve the smaller roast while waiting for the larger one to be done.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
Uncle Bob is right... Thank you for catching that Uncle Bob. :)
The roast is still cooking for a few minutes after it's been removed from the pan. I had forgotten about that. My apologies on that slip. Take it out just before it reaches your desired cooking temp.

I usually take ours out at 140. Prime rib that's over cooked isn't too good. Kind of dry.

But you did ask for the internal temp for medium well.
It's up to you to decide how you want your roast cooked.
We around DC do our best to help out..

Enjoy your Christmas dinner.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Where else would we be, in between playing with our own food?

Welcome to DC, Bill!

Merry Christmas!
.... Thanks for the welcome PrincessFiona60!

I found your site doing a Goggle search. If you couldn't tell already, I don't like food shopping as I usually get the wrong things! LOL. It's good to know when I mess up again (oh yeah, I will mess up again) that there's a place I can go to for help. Just don't tell my wife, or she will send me food shopping more often!

A very Merry Christmas to you too!

Bill




Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
That's right.. :)

I had just typed up my recipe for a friend of mine who is making her first Prime Rib dinner today. and sent it to her. I'll post it here..

Hope this helps you :)

Munky.
Thank you for the recipe Munky! It does help a lot. I'll let you know how it turns out.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
IMO...anything past 140* and rested for 10 minutes...You may as well call the hounds!

Have Fun, Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!
Thanks Uncle Bob! Yeah... we like it a little red/pink in the middle, so we'll try for that temp first!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas too!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'd cut the larger roast to the same sizes as the smaller one.

Or you could serve the smaller roast while waiting for the larger one to be done.

Good suggestion Zhizara. Thanks!
We only have one meat thermometer, and it's tooo crazy at the stores now to go buy any more. Plus I'd probbly buy the wrong one!

After reading all this... I think we'll put the meat thermometer in the "smaller" one, and shoot for 140-145 degrees. Take them both out at that time, and hope for the best.



Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Bill
__________________
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
.... Thanks for the welcome PrincessFiona60!

I found your site doing a Goggle search. If you couldn't tell already, I don't like food shopping as I usually get the wrong things! LOL. It's good to know when I mess up again (oh yeah, I will mess up again) that there's a place I can go to for help. Just don't tell my wife, or she will send me food shopping more often!

A very Merry Christmas to you too!

Bill
I think that's how most of us find DC...some of us never leave We love helping, learning and of course...FOOD!

I wouldn't call your shopping mishap a "mess up"...it brought you right to us! Have fun on DC! And we are very happy to help if you have forum problems, PM me anytime!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.