Prime Rib Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Bill

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I made a mistake yesterday when my wife sent me to get an 11-12 lb prime rib roast. The butcher said it's not "sold by the pound", and asked how many ribs I wanted, so I said 4-5 ribs. I didn't really look at the weight of it when the butcher gave it to me, as it looked big enough, but it was only 8 lbs. So, to please my wife.... I went back and got another 4 lb roast that was just in the counter. Now my wife says they are not the same size, as one does look a little fatter than the other.

The question I have is, does she put them both in the oven at the same time? In other words, will one cook faster than the other because of the size difference, even though they are the same cut of meat? That is what her main concern is.
Also, what internal (thermometer) temp would the roast be for medium well?

I hope someone can help us (other than saying I shouldn't be doing the shopping!) :LOL:

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,

I made a mistake yesterday when my wife sent me to get an 11-12 lb prime rib roast. The butcher said it's not "sold by the pound", and asked how many ribs I wanted, so I said 4-5 ribs. I didn't really look at the weight of it when the butcher gave it to me, as it looked big enough, but it was only 8 lbs. So, to please my wife.... I went back and got another 4 lb roast that was just in the counter. Now my wife says they are not the same size, as one does look a little fatter than the other.

The question I have is, does she put them both in the oven at the same time? In other words, will one cook faster than the other because of the size difference, even though they are the same cut of meat? That is what her main concern is.

I hope someone can help us (other than saying I shouldn't be doing the shopping!) :LOL:

Thanks,
Bill

I'll be cooking an 11 lb either today or for dinner tomorrow.

It might not look the same. That could be because of the fat cap. Trim some off if you want. I like a good one for the Yorkshire pudding.

She can cook them at the same time and temp. I'd recommend using 2 thermometers though. One in each. Same pan.

Here you go..

Cooking temps & Cooking times approx:
Rare 140. 23-25
Medium rare 145. 24-28
Medium 160 degrees. 27-30
Medium Well 165 degrees. 28-34
Well done 170. 32-35

When the roast is done let it rest 15 minutes. Remove it to a warm platter.

You can always cut one up into Rib Eye steaks.. You did just fine :)

Happy Holidays..
Munky.

.... .. You did just fine :)

Happy Holidays..
Munky.

Thank you Munky. I hope yours turns out well too!

The "bigger" one does look like it has more fat on it, as the smaller one looks leaner, so i think you are correct about the fat cap. :chef:

Thanks for the cooking temps. Does the "28-34" mean 28-34 minutes a pound?
And if you don't mind... what temp do you put the oven on for?

Thanks for being on at Christmas eve to helpl us!

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

Bill

That's right.. :)

I had just typed up my recipe for a friend of mine who is making her first Prime Rib dinner today. and sent it to her. I'll post it here..

Meat thermometer
3-4 Rib roast ( Standing Rib Roast )
Salt & fresh ground pepper

Yorkshire Pudding. Can be made ahead of time. Keep it covered and at room temp until ready to use.

2eggs
1 Cup of milk
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
1 Cup of flour

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees

Season all sides with salt and pepper
Place it in a shallow baking pan. Insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast.
Making sure that it's not touching a bone.

Cooking temps & Cooking times approx:
Rare 140. 23-25
Medium rare 145. 24-28
Medium 160 degrees. 27-30
Medium Well 165 degrees. 28-34
Well done 170. 32-35

When the roast is done let it rest 15 minutes. Remove it to a warm platter.

In a medium sized bowl. Beat in the eggs until they are foamy. Beat the milk and salt, gradually beat in the flour. Until the batter is smooth.

When the roast is done loosen the bits from the bottom of the roasting pan.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place the the pan with the drippings back into the oven for 5 minutes.
Carefully pour the batter into the hot pan. Spread it around evenly to the edges. Place it back into the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Loosen the cooked pudding. Cut and serve warm.

She's a young mom. So I suggested the one pan method for her. Muffin pans work as well ( for the pudding )

Hope this helps you :)

Munky.

IMO...anything past 140* and rested for 10 minutes...You may as well call the hounds! While it's resting it will continue to cook to at least 145* which will give you some pink (not rare) in the center.

Have Fun, Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks,
Bill

I'd cut the larger roast to the same sizes as the smaller one.

Or you could serve the smaller roast while waiting for the larger one to be done.

Last edited:
Uncle Bob is right... Thank you for catching that Uncle Bob. :)
The roast is still cooking for a few minutes after it's been removed from the pan. I had forgotten about that. My apologies on that slip. Take it out just before it reaches your desired cooking temp.

I usually take ours out at 140. Prime rib that's over cooked isn't too good. Kind of dry.

But you did ask for the internal temp for medium well.
It's up to you to decide how you want your roast cooked.
We around DC do our best to help out..

Enjoy your Christmas dinner.

Munky.

Where else would we be, in between playing with our own food?:)

Welcome to DC, Bill!

Merry Christmas!

:LOL: .... Thanks for the welcome PrincessFiona60!

I found your site doing a Goggle search. If you couldn't tell already, I don't like food shopping as I usually get the wrong things! LOL. It's good to know when I mess up again (oh yeah, I will mess up again) that there's a place I can go to for help. Just don't tell my wife, or she will send me food shopping more often! :ROFLMAO:

A very Merry Christmas to you too!

Bill

That's right.. :)

I had just typed up my recipe for a friend of mine who is making her first Prime Rib dinner today. and sent it to her. I'll post it here..

Hope this helps you :)

Munky.

Thank you for the recipe Munky! It does help a lot. I'll let you know how it turns out. ;)

IMO...anything past 140* and rested for 10 minutes...You may as well call the hounds!

Have Fun, Enjoy and Merry Christmas!!

:LOL: Thanks Uncle Bob! Yeah... we like it a little red/pink in the middle, so we'll try for that temp first!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas too!

I'd cut the larger roast to the same sizes as the smaller one.

Or you could serve the smaller roast while waiting for the larger one to be done.

Good suggestion Zhizara. Thanks!
We only have one meat thermometer, and it's tooo crazy at the stores now to go buy any more. Plus I'd probbly buy the wrong one! :LOL:

After reading all this... I think we'll put the meat thermometer in the "smaller" one, and shoot for 140-145 degrees. Take them both out at that time, and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Bill

:LOL: .... Thanks for the welcome PrincessFiona60!

I found your site doing a Goggle search. If you couldn't tell already, I don't like food shopping as I usually get the wrong things! LOL. It's good to know when I mess up again (oh yeah, I will mess up again) that there's a place I can go to for help. Just don't tell my wife, or she will send me food shopping more often! :ROFLMAO:

A very Merry Christmas to you too!

Bill

I think that's how most of us find DC...some of us never leave:LOL: We love helping, learning and of course...FOOD!

I wouldn't call your shopping mishap a "mess up"...it brought you right to us! Have fun on DC! And we are very happy to help if you have forum problems, PM me anytime!:)

I had to cook two different sizes of rib roast at one time once. My solution was to tie the roasts end to end tightly. The roasts cooked as if they were one.
Also, if you are cooking for enough people to need 11 pounds of meat, there will be enough difference in doneness preference you would be pleasing both.
In any case, I would use a thermometer.

I think that's how most of us find DC...some of us never leave:LOL: We love helping, learning and of course...FOOD!

I wouldn't call your shopping mishap a "mess up"...it brought you right to us! Have fun on DC! And we are very happy to help if you have forum problems, PM me anytime!:)

Thank you! :)

Still have more to do today.... but at least I feel more comfortable knowing the roast will turn out well!

All the best,

Bill

LOL! My supervisor quizzed me the other day on cooking Prime Rib, her SO was AT Costco and she was texting him my answers. I asked if she had a meat thermometer, she said "NO! Do I need one?" I told her she must have one! She texted him the news he needed to go buy one of those, too. We also discussed using onions, carrots and celery as a rack in the bottom of the pan.

She will let me know how it all turned out...actually, I'm expecting her to call me at any moment for more help.:ROFLMAO:

THe smaller one will cook faster. Unless everybody likes meat the same way, or you are cookinhg it all well done, this is not a problem. THe smaller on for those who want med to med well, and the larger one for those who want med rare to med.

Yeah, Robo, exactly. Some like it hot, some like it cold. Rare, medium, well done - keep the company happy.

Last edited:
I was about to take a nap with my stomach stuffed with about a pound and a half of bone-in prime rib roast that I cooked today for Christmas Eve lunch. (Our dinner will be just desserts!) When to my surprise, at DC, should appear... Big Bill in Santa gear. Welcome!

Mine was a 3-rib, five-and-a-halfer. A layer of root veggies as a rack. Salt and pepper, quite liberal with the latter. 450 for the first ten minutes and last five, otherwise 350. 20+ minutes per pound rule of thumb, but thermo probe is the "decider." It took almost 2 hours to reach 130 degrees when I fished it out and rested it for 10 minutes, for medium well.

I skipped on making Yorkshire pudding, but I did reduce the juice since medium well can become a bit dry. I also trimmed the outer fat and rendered it for about a cup's worth of lard.

For two roasts of different size, I'd just assume the bigger one will take longer. When the smaller is done, transfer the thermometer into the remaining roast, and keep the oven going until it reads a good temp.

At least your shopping for presents is all done, right?

I see this has also become a recipe type thread, so I'll add my .02. I cooked a prime rib roast just a couple night ago for the first time (pic in a dinner thread). I followed this recipe to a T and it came out perfect (for me), rare-med/rare. I didn't even bother grabbing the thermapen. I couldn't believe it. I surprised myself, but he seemed to know what he was talking about and sure enough. I'd bet if you figure the time for the larger roast, that will be done like the vid and the smaller one more to your liking.
Food Wishes - Video Recipes - Free Recipe Videos: Perfect Prime Rib of Beef with the Mysterious "Method X"
The only downside is your oven is off limits while it's cooking.

Back
Top Bottom