Printed recipe Management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Say you print a reciepe off the net. Anyone have any ingenious methods for propping up said reciepe while you're trying to cook it? And to keep it clean. I know a notebook with sheet protectors is an option but they don't quite fit into reciepe holders. Is there anything else that is more functional ?

Say you print a reciepe off the net. Anyone have any ingenious methods for propping up said reciepe while you're trying to cook it? And to keep it clean. I know a notebook with sheet protectors is an option but they don't quite fit into reciepe holders. Is there anything else that is more functional ?
I'm not so organized, I just have my printed recipes in a folder , in the kitchen.

I reprint my recipes when I need to use them. Ink and paper aren't that expensive and it's easier to manage my recipes on the computer. I either copy the recipes into Word or use the print function and print them to a PDF file. This way I save paper in the long run by only printing complicated recipes that I have to have in the kitchen with me otherwise I just display them on the laptop.

I stick it on the front of the fridge with my mushroom magnets.

I was just thinking of this very thing earlier today Vilasman.
I'm looking at one recipe I printed out last night, then realized I had printed another one out that was underneath it...... I'm so disorganized it aint funny. Right now I put all my printed recipes inbetween a couple cookbooks I have sitting on a shelf and fumble through them looking for the one I'm after.
I was thinking of sticking UB's corn bread and the NY Times crusty bread recipe inside my breadmachine cookbook so at least all the bread recipes I use will be in one spot. That would be a milestone in organization for me.

I stick it on the front of the fridge with my mushroom magnets.

We do something similar ... we have some of those magnets that are clips and then I can move it from the fridge to the hood over my stove for when I am cooking.

I need a kitchen computer that is moisture resistant and flour proof. And that will either stick to a wooden cabinent or is grease proof and has a touch screen or voice command.
To dream.
Re printing every time is an option but like this morning I wanted some good weed pancakes and I had to go print. Also, I tend to find myself making essence, or the fine cooking waffles and probably goodweeds pancakes or various flavors of ice cream for my in laws or my wifes sorority sisters when I am away from home. And then there are the 1 am feedings for me of course.
Putting the page in a book holder in front of an open cook book is a good short term solution for during cooking display. But now that I have an in kitchen bookshelf and it's only 1/3 full I have to find something to fill it with.
Me thinks I will make a levenger circa notebook for reciepes

I have a cardboard folder (the kind that go into notebooks) that I keep my hardcopy recipes in. I have probably 50 or so in that folder, some I use all the time, some are prints from my "Must Make" list, some are things I really got to File 13.

When I'm using a recipe, I have this setup:

Get a pushpin / thumbtack. Set insert the pin into a cabinet immediately in front of your prep area (my current space is a corkboard to the side of my prep area, as my prep area faces into the living room). Get a butterfly paperclip, fold the "wings" back, and hang the clip from the tack so that the "wings" are pointed up and the black clip is hanging down (it should fall to this position anyway). Clip desired recipe into the clip and start cooking!

I used to use page protectors, but now I don't. If I get a copy all dirtied up, I'll just print a new one off. Some recipes I'm constantly "tweaking" anyway, so will print a copy, make it, and hand-write notations and changes onto the printed copy. Then, after it's all said and done, I update the document on the laptop, and File 13 the old hardcopy. When I make it again, since I don't already have the old copy in my folder, I'll go and automatically print a new one, since I might not remember whether or not I've modified the printed recipe yet.

I use a little fridge magnet to hold the recipe onto my stove's vent hood.
Works like a charm cuz I am a tall guy.

Haven't gotten around to organizing them quite yet...

I don't understand the "recipe holders" thing.

But, when it comes to keeping a printed out recipe clean while cooking ... I do essentially the same as AllenOK ... and it works great. If you're making two recipes - you can clip them back-to-back and just flip the clip over to go to the next recipe. Of course, if you're making more recipes - you have to shuffle pages.

I keep my recipes in a 3-ring binder and remove the pages as I need them. I put them into plastic page protectors, make the meal, then remove the pages and put them back into the binder.

Insert red-faced smiley with halo ... I have been known to drag my laptop into the kitchen and fret the whole while that I'll ruin it. This is a well-founded fear, as I have a spill history ... so far so good, thankfully!

When I'm using a recipe, I have this setup:

Get a pushpin / thumbtack. Set insert the pin into a cabinet immediately in front of your prep area...

That is basically what I do. I started doing this because I have so little counter space.

I have a clip on a metal stand. It's about 20 in high. so, I just clip the recipe in. It's tall enough that the recipe doesn't drag on the counter.

I forgot to mention that DH once bought me a wooden cookbook holder from shop class in the school where he once taught. It doesn't have a shield to keep the recipes clean, but I can find the pages I want easily ;)

I use a binder too, but in a pinch, you can hook your recipe to a cabinet by putting a magnet on the metal hinge.

Back
Top Bottom