"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Printed recipe Management

Say you print a reciepe off the net. Anyone have any ingenious methods for propping up said reciepe while you're trying to cook it? And to keep it clean. I know a notebook with sheet protectors is an option but they don't quite fit into reciepe holders. Is there anything else that is more functional ?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman View Post
Say you print a reciepe off the net. Anyone have any ingenious methods for propping up said reciepe while you're trying to cook it? And to keep it clean. I know a notebook with sheet protectors is an option but they don't quite fit into reciepe holders. Is there anything else that is more functional ?
I'm not so organized, I just have my printed recipes in a folder , in the kitchen.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have a plastic book holder... It holds the book open with a plastic sheet in front. I just slip the recipe I'm using in front of the book.
Amazon.com: Clear Solutions Jumbo Cookbook Holder: Home & Garden

kind of like this
Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I reprint my recipes when I need to use them. Ink and paper aren't that expensive and it's easier to manage my recipes on the computer. I either copy the recipes into Word or use the print function and print them to a PDF file. This way I save paper in the long run by only printing complicated recipes that I have to have in the kitchen with me otherwise I just display them on the laptop.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman View Post
I stick it on the front of the fridge with my mushroom magnets.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I was just thinking of this very thing earlier today Vilasman.
I'm looking at one recipe I printed out last night, then realized I had printed another one out that was underneath it...... I'm so disorganized it aint funny. Right now I put all my printed recipes inbetween a couple cookbooks I have sitting on a shelf and fumble through them looking for the one I'm after.
I was thinking of sticking UB's corn bread and the NY Times crusty bread recipe inside my breadmachine cookbook so at least all the bread recipes I use will be in one spot. That would be a milestone in organization for me.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
I stick it on the front of the fridge with my mushroom magnets.
We do something similar ... we have some of those magnets that are clips and then I can move it from the fridge to the hood over my stove for when I am cooking.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I need a kitchen computer that is moisture resistant and flour proof. And that will either stick to a wooden cabinent or is grease proof and has a touch screen or voice command.
To dream.
Re printing every time is an option but like this morning I wanted some good weed pancakes and I had to go print. Also, I tend to find myself making essence, or the fine cooking waffles and probably goodweeds pancakes or various flavors of ice cream for my in laws or my wifes sorority sisters when I am away from home. And then there are the 1 am feedings for me of course.
Putting the page in a book holder in front of an open cook book is a good short term solution for during cooking display. But now that I have an in kitchen bookshelf and it's only 1/3 full I have to find something to fill it with.
Me thinks I will make a levenger circa notebook for reciepes
Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I open the upper cabinet above where I cook and stick it there and let it hang out.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I have a cardboard folder (the kind that go into notebooks) that I keep my hardcopy recipes in. I have probably 50 or so in that folder, some I use all the time, some are prints from my "Must Make" list, some are things I really got to File 13.

When I'm using a recipe, I have this setup:

Get a pushpin / thumbtack. Set insert the pin into a cabinet immediately in front of your prep area (my current space is a corkboard to the side of my prep area, as my prep area faces into the living room). Get a butterfly paperclip, fold the "wings" back, and hang the clip from the tack so that the "wings" are pointed up and the black clip is hanging down (it should fall to this position anyway). Clip desired recipe into the clip and start cooking!

I used to use page protectors, but now I don't. If I get a copy all dirtied up, I'll just print a new one off. Some recipes I'm constantly "tweaking" anyway, so will print a copy, make it, and hand-write notations and changes onto the printed copy. Then, after it's all said and done, I update the document on the laptop, and File 13 the old hardcopy. When I make it again, since I don't already have the old copy in my folder, I'll go and automatically print a new one, since I might not remember whether or not I've modified the printed recipe yet.