Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DomNealSmith

Assistant Cook
What in your opinion is wrong with most kitchen products, or what do you normally have difficulty with in the kitchen that you always seem to do?

Welcome to D.C.!
I can't say that I have any real "difficulties" in the kitchen. That is not to say that I haven't had rough patches to get through in the past. Patience and practice over the years have allowed me to come to a greater understanding of the cooking process. I am still learning and, no doubt, will continue to learn the art of cooking.
If by "kitchen products" you mean tools and appliances, There are very many examples of a good principle or idea that is poorly or cheaply executed. Many products mass produced these days are merely reiterations of previous solutions to perceived kitchen needs. I look for quality these days when considering purchases of such items. In truth, I have nearly all the tools I truly need. There are one or two items I wouldn't mind having, but I doubt I really need them. The Breville smart grill comes to mind.

Always keep your knives sharp. If you don't know how to sharpen them properly, look on YouTube for instrux or find someone to teach you. It is a useful skill that will make your kitchen work much easier on a regular basis.

If you haven't got, or want a crock pot/ slow cooker, look for them at yard sales or thrift stores. The older models cook at a lower temp, so they truly are slow cookers. Today's models run at a much higher temperature. The ones with removable crocks are the best.

Oh, and whether it's a new or new to you crockpot, use it the first time while you are home until you have tested it out. Don't just think you can set it and forget it while you are at work until you know how it performs.

Last edited:
The problem I have with small appliances is not taking the time to understand the full capability of them. I tend to just use the on and off buttons.

I also have some difficulty in seasoning foods that start out hot and are served cold or visa versa.

I am often not aggressive enough with the heat and length of time when browning meats.

Cooking is a great hobby, you get to practice three times a day! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I wish there were more tools etc.available such as knives/ scissors for us leftie handed ones.
When you find that self-cleaning kitchen send it over to me when you're done. I'll pick up the shipping ok?
Off on holiday tomorrow, going to Cuba for a couple of weeks so it's eat-up bits in fridge for dinner tonight. Twas always thus Eh?
Bye

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for a self-cleaning kitchen.
You are not alone! Years ago (or so I have heard) Julia Child seriously messed up her kitchen set in the first part of a TV episode. Her shows went out live, and during the break, the crew labored mightily to clean up the set. After the break, Julia noticed how nice and clean things were and said, "I'm so glad that I have one of those automatic kitchen floor cleaners." Within minutes, the switchboard was jammed with people wanting to know where to get the "automatic floor cleaner"!

Awesome keep the replies coming,

a good example of problems as such, is i don't bother doing that anymore as this is tedious, or every time i do this it feels awkward to hold/use! that sort of thing :)

I don't bother making aioli by hand anymore, as it is tedious. I've made hand-beaten aioli twice now. I believe that's enough times to last me a life time. It was delicious, and I've read that the texture is better than that of aioli made in a blender or food processor, but to be honest, it wasn't good enough for all of the work I put into it. I still have yet to try it in the blender (it's not one of those things you want to make every day), but I have it on good authority (the thread on here:)) that it's perfectly possible to make in a blender, so I'm predicting that I'll be sticking with that from now on!

Last edited:
Biggest Problem I have in the kitchen is having enough room. Honestly, I lack counter space in the first place, plus my oven is acting up so a toaster oven is taking up some of that valuable real estate as well.

I'm soooooooo wanting an island for my kitchen.

I'm waiting for a self-cleaning kitchen.

Sign me up!

I have wood floors so as long as I keep them swept and wash them once in a while they look good. I have cream colored counter tops (yay the 80's, :LOL: ) and they show every crumb, I'm going to replace them with something that doesn't show every crumb.

So if I can't have a self cleaning kitchen, at least I want one that camouflages it's imperfections.....

Sign me up!

I have wood floors so as long as I keep them swept and wash them once in a while they look good. I have cream colored counter tops (yay the 80's, :LOL: ) and they show every crumb, I'm going to replace them with something that doesn't show every crumb.

So if I can't have a self cleaning kitchen, at least I want one that camouflages it's imperfections.....

+1 !!!

My floor is white The floor in my old house was brown linoleum that yucky color from the 60's so when I saw this kitchen with bright white floors I was in love. Now I hate it because it is so hard to keep clean! I have the same cream colored counters too.

If I had the chance to design away one problem, it would be the design of heavy cookware (pot, pans) handles. I would want a formed grip, shaped to my hand, that would allow me to easily turn the pan to dump the contents. I have the strength, but the handles on the cookware I like are rather thin and are polished, impossible to get a grip on.

I also want the handles to be oven safe at high temperature. So it would likely be fairly expensive to mold the grips in a safe material.

Tile floors! I have 12" ceramic tile with 1/4" grout that's lower than the surface of the tile, not only is it hard to get stuff out of the grout gutters, but they were never sealed, so my pale beige grout is dark brown from every spill ever made. HATE 'EM!

Back
Top Bottom