Problem with browning potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton

Cook
Lately, I've been having a problem browning some packaged breakfast potatoes. I use plenty of oil (unless there's something as using too much oil) and I'm cooking on high heat. Maybe it's something to do with my pan?

What kind of packaged potato? If there is a lot of moisture in the packaged product, that would prevent browning.

The pan is not likely to make much difference. Heat browns food, not a particular pan surface.

Yes...it's the packaged potatoes. They have a lot of moisture in them. Here's my suggestion. Use a little less oil and spread the potatoes as thinly as possible in your pan. Press them down good. Then don't flip them too soon. Let them brown up really good on one side, then flip and brown the other side.

I just made a huge batch of breakfast burritos yesterday morning, to freeze for quick breakfasts for the kids. I normally NEVER use the packaged potatoes but there was a bag in the fridge (the husband bought them). They were "Southwestern Style" so I thought they'd go perfectly in the burritos. I used my cast iron skillet to brown the potatoes, using very little oil and did exactly as I explained up above. They browned beautifully.

Thanks. I'll try that next time. I also have the Southwestern Style in my fridge.

If you put a lot of cold potatoes into the pan at once the temperature of the pan drops and browning is delayed.

As Neeny said...weighing them down with a plate creates a nice crust, also Im a believer of starting them in a hot high heat pan then lowering the heat to medium after a minute or so, this way they get golden without burning. But the biggest key is DO NOT TOUCH THEM for at least 4-5 minutes.

What kind of packaged potato? If there is a lot of moisture in the packaged product, that would prevent browning.

The pan is not likely to make much difference. Heat browns food, not a particular pan surface.

That's what I was thinking. Try blotting them with paper towels before putting them in the pan, and make sure the pan is good and HOT!

I made some last weekend. Actually they were fresh grated potatoe and I made hash browns.

I used my 12 inch lodge skillet outdoors on a propane burner. That way I could heat up a little shortening very hot. I put them in and spread them around a few minutes. I would stir or turn them when brown, then I formed piles and browned them on both sides.

I think the secret is a hot enough pan. Cast iron would enable you to get a nice hot surface that stays hot when the potatoes are browning. And large pan ensures it stays hot.

I like being about to cook outside, I wish I had a summer kitchen. My next grill will have a side burner (my current one does not).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom